Blu Ray for da cheap?

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Bobo, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I see prices have come down, but haven't researched Blu Ray players much. Anyone want to drop some knowledge on some cheaper, but hopefully still solid Blu Ray players?
    Thanks!

2. Hard Hitter 53

Hard Hitter 53 Camp Fodder

$250 at Target is the lowest I've seen.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Most will be solid, but I would imagine the cheaper ones might be a little slow loading (compared to what you are used to with DVDs).

We have a Sony Blu-ray player (not a PS3) and it works fine, just takes awhile to load.

With Blu-ray Live it might be worth checking if the players have internet connectivity.

4. I'd just assume get an upconverting DVD player and forget about bluray

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Blu-ray will be the next format. Digital downloads isn't feasible.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Because of the price difference? Or do you think Blu Ray doesn't look good enough for the price?

I don't know for sure how good the upconversion is for my HD DVD player (thought I read it was good though), but every HD DVD movie I've seen looks a significant bit better than standard DVD's.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Say what? :huh:

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Ignore it. Digital downloading will be far more popular than bluray.
    And if you're going to get a blu ray player, you might as well make it worthwhile and get the PS3. Otherwise, you're just paying way too much for a slightly better dvd.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Blu-ray discs (some of them) have a feature where you can access extra information online (The Dark Knight has this feature). Basically added extras.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

No it won't.

There are 1 billion internet users in the world. There are 6 billion people in the world.

Of those 1 billion, I'd venture less than 5% of them have speeds enough to download a movie quicker then half a day.

The market is not feasible and the only people who want it is Microsoft.

Sony and co have invested heavily in Blu-ray and won't switch to Digital Downloads.

People who have invested in High Definition TVs won't use digitial downloads because it renders their HDTV useless (that it won't be able to play digitial downloads unless you hook a PC up to it).

Most people want to physically own what they have bought.

And if you can't see a difference between HD and normal DVD you need your eyes checked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar