Blount will takes Ringers #2 spot.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Making comparisons to Jarret Payton are ridiculous. At this point all we have to go by is what the Titan's coached think of the guy since he hasn't hardly played. The coaching staff seems to like Ringer. Saying he is like Payton makes about as much sense as me saying he is like Emmit Smith. We simply don't know at this point.

This happens every year. Some player gets a few favorable lines about his performance in training camp and fans start talking the player up like he is a HOF player.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Jarrett Payton is actually a pretty good comparison- like it or not. They run nearly identical, and everyone WANTED them to succeed, but it's just not there. There are 200 Javon Ringers out there. He's not the guy he was in college before the injury. Sorry. And he's not going to be someone other teams see as a legit #2 once we're done with him.

Actually, he's more like Quinton Ganther. Maybe a bit better, but same style.

Blount's ceiling is hard to see. Ringer had better do something magical this preseason or he'll be replaced by week 6.

3. Nine

Nine Starter

I find it funny that Ringer is held in such relatively low regard.

Then again, many of the people who are knocking Ringer are the same ones who blasted the Titans a couple years ago for wasting a first-round pick on a "small-school scatback" who was "too small to be an every-down runner in the NFL".

These folks couldn't have been more wrong in their assessments of Chris Johnson's ability; the opinions they offered were just downright laughable.

But I'm sure their evaluations of Javon Ringer are right on target.:rolleyes:

I'm not saying Blount can't carve himself a spot on the roster as a short-yardage/goal-line bruiser; he certainly has the size for it. But the fact is, until he understands protection schemes, Dinger won't want him on the field i.

Bottom line: If CJ and Ringer stay relatively healthy throughout the season Blount will be lucky to get 20 carries.

4. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

ive seen Ringer play as a Titan, have you not?

the only thing he has to his advantage is his smaller size so he can hide behind the oline til he hits a hole. Ringer doesnt have the speed to hit the corner and turn up field like CJ. he doesnt have the balance or juke that CJ has. He doesnt have the power to run up the middle and knock over guys. Ive seen him break loose and get caught from behind by a CB. he isnt a home run hitter. His smaller size will work to his advantage like Darren Sproles,he has ok Vision up the field. and he has a lot of Heart for the Game.

Ringer will lose yards or get stuffed most of the time imo, but i think with the Defense not being able to see him behind the online he will be able to hit some holes once in a while for a 15-35 yard gains.

Now is that gonna be enough to keep Blount on the bench? Blount can wear down tacklers late in the game and just eat up the clock. Titans love that style of football.

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Are you seriously using Chris Johnson as your basis for judging Javon Ringer? Seriously?

You say Ringer doesn't have the speed to hit the corner...yet against the Cowboys starting defense last preseason, he turned the corner on all-world DE Demarcus Ware and ran right through two LB's for 20+ yards. (Check the 2:00 mark of this video. He also had a very nice 50+ yard KO return at the :55 mark of that video.)

How about this run against the Bucs, where he avoided an unblocked blitzer and weaved his way through traffic for a 30+ yard TD.

Then there was this run against the Pats, where he shoots the gap, bounces off a would-be tackler, and keeps his balance (on an icy field, no less) for a 30+ yard gain.

These are just the plays that made the highlight reels. There were also several runs where Ringer broke an initial tackle to turn "no gain" into five yards. They aren't on any highlight reel, but they're an example of the type of runner he is.

No, he probably won't break any 80-yard runs. Neither did Travis Henry....only three runs of 40+ yard in his career, but there's no denying that he was a very good RB.

I'm not saying Ringer is an all-world talent, or that he'll take carries away from CJ....but I know the qualities I look for in a RB (toughness, heart, vision, burst, elusiveness, balance, ball security) and Ringer meets almost all of them. The only area where he's not above average is his long speed...which, BTW, is one of the most overrated attributes in RB's. (Guess which runner has had more 40+ yard runs....world-class speedster Darren Sproles or donut boy Lendale White?)

All I'm saying is this: Blount has excellent measurables and put up good (not great) numbers against college-level defenses. Ringer was far more productive in college....and when given the opportunity, has maintained a high level of productivity against NFL defenses. He may or may not have what it takes to be an every-down runner week in and week out.....but he's a far, far better player than people are making him out to be.

The talent is there; all he needs is the opportunity.

• High Five High Five x 4
  6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I think way too many of you guys are making the mistake of saying that Blount will be the short yardage/goal line back because he's big.

Chris Johnson is the short yardage/goal line back. He is arguably one of the best in the league at it. When the Titans got down to the 1 or 2 last year, CJ was getting the carries, not Lendale.

You don't need to bowl people over to be an effective short yardage back. You need good vision and the ability to recognize the hole and hit it at full speed. CJ is fantastic at that. His acceleration and vision are both elite. He also can get really low and bounce off the initial contact, which helps his effectiveness a lot.

That said, I do think that an offense needs to sometimes use power running plays, whether they be at the goal line or at midfield. Blount would seemingly be the right guy for that.

7. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

You could not have said that any better. I totally agree with everything.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

So how about the people that said CJ would be good, but still say Ringer is average?

Rather than just making up random assumptions as to what people may have believed, you can chew on that one.

Ringer is average. He has been ever since his college injury. You guys go ga-ga over ANYONE that's a Titan though. Like Jeff Fisher's mindless depth chart is absolute proof for you or something.

And CJ is not a short yardage back. It was stupid to play him as one last season. Might as well have him on special teams, too while we're at it.

9. 757Titan

757Titan We had zero pro bowlers

I like ringer, but I hope blount is a beast in pre season so he can get some snaps

10. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Lets all agree with this they are all way better than fat lendale white!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar