Billy Mays is dead.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jessestylex, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Billy was a well known face, sure other people can pitch, but people grew to trust the things that Billy pitched. you can throw another face in there to pitch Oxi Clean 2.0 but i'll bet it will not sell like it would with Billy doing to commercial.

Why you think those inventors wanted Billy to pitch their product? cause thats the best you can do in hope of sales.

The Dual Blade cutter brought in 5 million dollars in the first 60 days.
    that would not have happened if Billy didnt help pitch the commercial.

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

You just called my grandma dumb. I'm going to kill you now.

:grrhee:

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Well, Gloat, if you never take advantage of all of your supposed talents, then don't be surprised when no one believes that you really have them. You get recognition for what you actually do with your life, not your potential talents. Same as the guy that was once able to play for the reds. Yes, another salesman could have done what Mays did, if he was as good a salesman. There's an incredible difference between a good salesman, a bad salesman, and a great salesman. Mays was great, as few are. If you think it's about tone of voice, or yelling, or the other things you mentioned, then you don't get it, and that's ok. What's annoying is that you can't ever seem to appreciate others who actually do things well.

4. jessestylex

What Gloat is trying to say is that if the Dollar General Store made a MP3 player exactly like the Ipod that it would sell as good as Apples Ipod.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

No, I'm saying Mays is no different than the Kirby vacuum sellers or used car salesmen. He just got lucky- or worked harder.
    It wasn't his "talent" because the guy's acting is terrible.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

The problem is that you don't value working harder. Everyone else does.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I do value someone that works harder to compensate for their lacks. That's what I miss, so of course I do.
    Which is why I have no problem with Mays getting to where he was. I just have a problem with people acting like he's the much greater than any other salesman.

He apparently worked himself to death doing a cake job- so it says a lot.

8. jessestylex

lol goat made me laugh i spit my milk out of my nose.

burns like aMAKE EM' SAY UHH! Na-nah na-nah

stay fresh Gloat!

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

He's not acting he's pitching a product.

He is greater than other salesmen because he sells more than anyone else. Here's a question gloat. Why do people pay Mays more money than anyone else to sell their products? If anyone can do it why don't these big corporations just hire a kirby salesmen to sell their stuff? You honestly don't think it takes skill to sell something? You don't think marketing and persuasion are skills? One of the episodes of Pitchmen had them going to Princeton to talk about selling, why would Princeton have such a class if anyone can do it? And yea a cake job, constant travel, 10-12 hour days, sounds easy. :rolleyes:

And Jesse stop being so enamored with Gloat, it's just weird.

10. RTH

RTH Meh...

I think the last thing I saw Mays pitch was a Circular Saw. It cut through metal and all kinds of stuff - you know, the kind of stuff that other Circular Saws can't do. Except, they do.

I had a guy come into the store I work at and ask about that particular saw. I showed him the twin-bladed circular saw because, well, it's the same saw.

He was surprised to see as another brand - Craftsman - but even more surprised when I told him was wasn't new at all. I'd worked at Sears for 3 years and we've been carrying that same saw for at least that long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar