Bigger Problem: D Line, or DB's?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AH3

AH3 Rookie

Situation A: We trade for Big Al (still seems like a decent possibility) and go DB in the draft with Wilson, Thomas, or Haden. This would be the best option, in my opinion. Hayes and Ford would be pretty good with Haynesworth and Brown in the middle.

Situation B: We don't get Big Al or any other big player trades. If Wilson or Thomas is there, I say we get them. With Jones healthy, our line should be better than last year. Getting a good secondary would be great for the future as well. It's much easier to rotate players on the DL than in the secondary, so I think we could get by even without elite players there. I wouldn't be upset if we got a good DE though.

I'd prefer A, but we can get by with either. But if we take a guy who can't contribute immediately (at CB or DE) we will have another year of the same defense.

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

you know how you find good players who love the game?

At training camp tell them they can go home early ,the players who love the game will stay. the goof offs will haul @ss Like Griffin for Example. he rather deal with baby mama drama and stay clean than to learn the game better.

3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

It all starts in the trenches with a fierce rush. Gotta fix the DLine, then our Secondary automatically improves.

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

If we trade for Haynesworth more than likely we won't have a first round. Therefore Wilson, Thomas, or Haden would not be a possability.

5. AH3

AH3 Rookie

We won't give up a first rounder for him. I could see a 3rd and maybe next years 2nd, but I doubt we'll give up anything higher than that. I'd be up for trading players too (LW!!!) but who knows what the Redskins want.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

doesnt matter if they are there or not. are are taking Jason Paul at #16

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

As much as I hate Nick Harper...

Improving the D-Line is the way to go. We have upgrades at DB (IF Fisher will play them) but DL we just don't have much.

With pressure, you can play anyone at DB pretty much. Ask the Colts, Dynasty-Era Patriots, Steelers, etc.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

In a Cover 2 zone dominant defense, you need a fierce pass rush. Look at how the Colts D works...they have 2 all pro DE's and the rest keep rotating. Last year they had rookies (not high picks) playing CB for awhile and didn't miss a beat. We lose our starting CB's and got anihilated. If you look at the best cover 2 zone defenses...where was their best personel? The DL.

Here's two scenarios...

Have 4 medicore DL and a Por Bowl secondary....or a Pro Bowl DL with a mediocre secondary. Which do you think would be more effective? I already gave you a big hint above.

Plus, to 'fix' our secondary from a personel perspective, we may need 2 new starters unless Hope can regain his form...

Gut

PS - I'd go with the Pro Bowl DL.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

The Purple People Eaters. The Orange Crush Defense. The Steel Curtain. Hall of Fame names. What did these teams call their DBs?

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

While i basically agree with Gut and the need for great DL for the cover 2, having 2 shutdown CBs would allow us to be more aggressive and to blitz more. I look at the 99 defense and we had quality CB play and a good DL and still blitzed a lot so that would be the objective.

Looking at the draft it seems to me there are some DEs we could get in rds 3 or 4 that could help us but very few CBs. And frankly there is less risk in getting a CB at 16 than a DE. I like the choice better between Haden-Wilson-Thomas and maybe even McCourty than the DEs available. I think Pierre-Paul would be a huge gamble and would rather have the 5th or 6th best CB over him.

I would go with the best Cb on the board deferring to our head coach, GM and DC all former NFL defensive backs to make the right choice but if they go DE go for a guy who can be a real stud. Dunlap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar