Big changes for Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Wolverine, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Our biggest needs are QB and OLB. We don't have what we want at QB right now and we don't have a dougle digit pass rush OLB.

Then we have several spots we WANT to upgrade as a priority. OG, RT, pass rushing OLB (another one), S and WR (expecting Wash to not be re-signed)

Then we need guys who can fit roles I don't think are too hard to find. Depth at CB, NT, WR, blocking TE, and RB.

I think we need to sign 2-3 BIG TIME free agents! Let's say...for fun...we sign...

WR Dez Bryant and OLB Justin Houston and (would love to get Suh too but this is crazy enough)

Cut Wembley, Levitre, let Wash leave, cut Griff

Let's say in the draft we make a block buster deal with the Eagles for Mariota and get QB Foles plus there 1, 2nd and 3rd picks this year and a conditional pick for next year. We take...

1 OLB Dante Fowler
    2 RB Melvin Gordon
    2 FS Gerod Hollimon
    3 OG Arie Kuandjio
    3 OT Cam Erving
    4 CB Senquez Golson
    4 ILB Stephone Anthony
    5 OLB Devonte Fields
    6 OT Trenton Brown
    6 SS Ronald Martin

Depth Chart going into Training Camp would look like...
    *=new player
    **=new starter

OFF
    QB Foles**, Mett, CW
    RB Sankey, Gordon*, McCluster
    WR Bryant**, KW, Hunter, Hagan, etc
    LT Lewan, Erving*, Brown*
    LG Kuandjio**, Erving*, fa backup
    OC Schwenke, fa backup
    RG Warmack, Erving*, fa backup (same as for LG)
    RT Roos, Erving*, Brown*
    TE DW, Thompson, Stevens

DEF
    LDE Pitoitua, Martin, Klug
    NT Hill, Woods, (sign Cody)
    RDE Casey, Klug, Martin
    ROLB Houston**, Fowler*, Phillips
    RILB Williamson, Brown, Goodson
    LIB Woodyard, Brown, Anthony*
    LOLB Morgan, Fowler*, Fields*
    CB McCourty, Sensabaugh, Golson*, Huff
    CB BWW, Sensabaugh, Golson*, Huff
    NCB Sensabaugh, Golson*, Huff
    FS Huff, Hollimon*, Stafford
    SS Stafford, Huff, Martin*

VS the pass (4 man rush dime look)
    OLB Houston**
    RDT Casey
    LDT Klug
    OLB Fowler**
    ILB Brown
    CB McCourty
    CB BWW
    NCB Sensabaugh
    DCB Golson**
    FS Hollimon**
    SS Huff

K Gostkowski**
    P Kern (re-sign)
    KR Trindon Holliday**
    PR McCluster

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I appreciate the effort, but literally 0.001% chance of this happening. No way we'd land those free agents, or have the money for them.

Also, I believe CB is a much bigger need. Yes, we need to upgrade the pass rush but no way should BWW be our #2 cb starting next year.

3. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

• LOL LOL x 1
  4. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

Just kidding. All I know is that we have to upgrade so many positions, that it will take at least 2 years to fix this mess.

5. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Love the Melvin Gordon pick....the guy is going to be good IMO and he has a fantastic work ethic. Hopefully he is available in the 2nd round, but with us going early it is a pretty good chance.

6. Rudad

Rudad Starter

We are in dire need of a big time pash rusher,RT, OG, CB, and back up TE. Throw WR in there also. I don't care which position as long as the guy is a game changer. We so badly need talent .

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I agree there is little to no chance of this happening though I disagree that it CAN'T happen. We have the money to get a Houston and Bryant. A giant trade that would net us Foles and a ton of draft picks won't happen...but if the Eagles like MM we should TRY! We could stack the team for a change AND have a QB.

I'd have to calculate how much cap room we have and could have trimming the fat because ideally I'd go for 3 big free agents. If Tommy wants to win, be prepared to write some big fat checks...but ONLY for the right guys. Most of them will get locked up but some will be available. We need to target young, highly productive difference makers and then get some vet depth.

One thing I disagree on is how much of a need we have at CB. BWW has looked a lot better recently. Actually put a good pass rush in front of him and they look 10x better. Plus, I don't love the 'top corners' in this draft. I don't like spending a first round pick on a cb who isn't a LOCK DOWN guy. Plus, I 'drafted' us a CB:)

Take a look around the league. Even Revis wasn't looking that good when NE couldn't generate a pass rush and that dude is making a gajillion dollars! Spend the Gajillion on the pass rusher and the big time offensive playmaker and we can worry less about QB and CB.

Remember, the best teams have a few holes so not every single hole has to be 'fixed.' We just need to fix the major ones that we can and live with the rest. But we MUST get a dominant pass rusher if available and I don't mean a guy who 'alledgedly' beat up and threatened his woman nor anyone older than 28.

A guy I'm pretty sure will be available but might be the most expensive free agent is Suh. He wants more than JJ Watt money which is why I think Detroit lets him walk. But put him on the same line as Casey and get a couple of pass rushers in the draft and our front 7 looks a LOT different. Is he worth that kind of money...probably not. But he's probably an option. Dallas won't be able to sign all of their good free agents and it will be interesting to see if they try and keep both Murray and Bryant. I doubt they can keep both...so cross your fingers on Bryant!

But I digress...get me 2 star players in fa and a good draft and we have playoff talent!

8. xpmar9x

I think we'll be lucky to get 1 player of this top-25 list:
    http://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2015-nfl-free-agents/

When you're an awful team, it's normally unlikely your GM/Owner spends money on top tier FAs. FAs are traditionally for win-now teams, we need a few good draft classes before we can fork out mad money for superstar FAs. It sucks, but it's the truth. Players like Suh, Dez, etc have ZERO interest in coming to Tennessee to play. We're awful and can offer them money, but there's likely much better teams that can awful the same or more money.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Thing about pro sports are things never last. Smart players know this and will go to bad teams expecting to change things. Look at Peyton Manning, DeSean Jackson, Eric Decker, etc. Most the time people are gogin to follow the money. Despite the fact we suck in 2014, we have equally as good a chance at landing anyone as anyone does.

Now obviously if Denver, Green Bay or New England finds themselves in need of a WR, we're assed out, but every other spot is up for grabs.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. xpmar9x

Here you go @Gut - a slightly more possible/realistic off-season:

1st: Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
    2nd: Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
    3rd: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, UGA
    3rdC: Cameron Irving, OL, FSU
    4th: Best safety available
    5th: Kenny Bell, WR, Nebraska

Vic is a legit pass rush, has the size of Bruce Irvin/Von Miller, remember Demarcus Ware was tiny coming out of college also. I do want to see his official combine measurables however. Marcus Peters was on most scouts big boards around 15 and potentially the #1 CB. He was dismissed from Wash for headbutting with their new HC, now he's falling to late 1st-early 2nd. With Pollard/McCourty in the the locker room and at DB, I think they can lead him the right way. We could get the #1 CB in the 2nd round and potentially have a true #1 CB. We use another early pick (3rd) on an additional pass-rusher, no more Morgan/Wimbley trash. Irving has the potential to play RT or LG, he's that versatile, we'd use him as a current starting at LG and switch to RT once Roos retires. Bell would have a legit chance to become the #3 through training camp, he's a 4 year starter and one of the most developed WRs in college football, sadly he's average size/speed, which will net a fall.

Current Free Agents:
    Roos (resign on a 2 year deal) - he's 32, we can get 2 more years out of him, let Irving develop.
    Washington (let go, goes to a winning team to finish his career)
    Locker (let go)
    George Wilson (let go)
    Leon Washington (let go)
    Chris Spencer (resign, decent backup)
    Battle (let go)
    Klug (resign, cheap, backup)
    Kern (resign, MVP of the team)

Outside FAs:
    Mark Ingram
    BJ Raji
    Charles Clay
    Cecil Shorts

Cut:
    Levitre
    Morgan
    Greene
    Stevens

We'd be stuck with Mett for another year, but that's better than reaching on a QB early. Instead we pickup 2 future studs (hopefully) at OLB. If you can get a pass-rush brewing, the secondary will fix itself. I did want to cut Griffin, but we simply don't have a better replacement. Hopefully, the upgraded pass rush helps. We also have a true #2 CB in Peterson. Ingram gives us a power back, trio of Sankey, Ingram, McCluster at RB. Clay is another cheaper FA that would give us a legit #2 TE, who also plays FB, that we could use. Cecil Shorts & Kenny Bell are the replacements of losing Washington. It's not a Super Bowl team, but we're edging closer, just missing a QB.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar