"Best Player Available"

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by thnom, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I didn't say "can't". I said it was unlikely. For example, if we had Dominick Davis, I would still take Bush at #1 if I am the Texans. You just can't pass such a talent if you you can't trade out and get a king's ransom. That choice is much tougher if you had LT in your backfield after signing him to a six-year deal.

But I agree in that it is ideal for the Titans to take a player of both need and talent.

I see a lot of difference in a player you take in the top 10 vs the bottom of round one. Bulluck should have started much sooner, IMO, too. But he was the BPA which supports my argument.

I disagree. When do you ever fill your positional needs?

I think you have to look at the big picture. You can't JUST draft by need or JUST draft BPA (except for a first-round pick). For example, say the Titans had their third-round pick this year (don't we wish). And when they get to their pick in the second round, there are four LBs remaining on the board Reese graded out as top 50 picks (say 37, 40, 43 and 49). But there is only one S he ranks in the top 50 (say 41). What should he do? He may reach a few spots and take the S with pick 39 because he knows one of those LBs will likely be around in the third.

By following your logic, you snag the highest-rated LB in the second and then take another in the third because you one S is likely taken by someone else later in round two.

And we need to realize this BPA is based on Reese's grading and who knows just what makes up that grade. The difference between the player ranked 37 and 41 may be very little which means it's a no-brainer taking the position.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I see absolutley no need for Houston to pull such a move
    Davis is one of the more underrated RB's in the league
    neither Bush nor Young nor Carr nor Davis will improve with that line

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Bulluck was a very late 1st round pick. Not even close to taking a guy in the top ten where you could look at filling a need and still be able to get a BPA status guy. Nobody is saying you don't always consider need. The point is to not reach for a guy just because you have a need but should always consider value. If two guys have similar value and one fills a need of course you take the guy that fills a need. This strategy of grabbing 3 guys at one position only works if the draft happens to be strong at that position and even then there is a chance of a reach.

Maybe Reese needs to modify his ranking system on some of these guys. Being able to get a close look at these guys in the Senior Bowl hopefully will help this year which is why possibly trading our 2nd rounder for a later 2nd and additional picks might not be a bad idea. Just having bodies at each postion isn't going to win a championship. Having quality will.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think we are far off here in our thinking. However, I believe you take BPA in the first UNLESS it at a position you are already stacked in. The Titans had some aging (and expensive) LBs when they took Bulluck. He was the BPA and there was a need.

Each time Reese has drafted multiple players at a position, especially the DE and WR. for example, he's had a need to not only eventually replace a starter but he's needed to add depth. I don't find a lot of fault in this strategy at all as long as Reese is not reaching for a player. He didn't have free agency to fall pack on to fill holes.

You say this but tell me what proof you have Reese's approach is not working. I think it's too early to judge the DEs and WRs taken. Are you talking about drafts where he's taken two players from a position of need like Echols/Beckham, Gardner/Waddell or Calmus/Boiman? Most of these are in the mid-rounds and I don't see how anyone can call this strategy bad at the time.

Does it always work? Of course not. Reese may have had these players graded out higher and saw them as a value at the time. I think Reese has had as much success, if not more, from getting quality players from the mid-rounds as anyone in the league.

By problem with Reese is the success he's had with the first three rounds. These are guys you must have eventually be your starters and, hopefully, the key players on the team. And this is where Reese has fallen as of late (I posted the players taken in the first three rounds the last few years in another thread recently).

Even then, much of the reason for failure from this group is based on injury and that the Titans have drafted towards the bottom of each round to being with.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Good points. I will say that the three WRs look like they have been good picks. The DEs are still a question mark.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

7. Good Job People!!!!

8. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

titans take Marcus Vick with the 3rd pick...

...wtf.. am i talking about

9. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

and what ever came of Ryan Leaf?

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

what 3rd pick :grrr:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar