Best pick for Titans Rd. 1?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by ftballkicker21, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

So Mel Kiper can base his career off something. The combine in general is such a pointless event for top prospects.

2. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Gloat something tells me that if Manningham had put up great numbers you would be telling us that the Combine has told us all we need to know about his ability. But because he stunk up the combine your argument has become how pointless the combine really is.

Now in another thread about drafting DE you told us you would draft Vernon Gholston if he fell to us based on his outrageous combine numbers.

3. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Top 4 Picks for Titans in the 1st Round (In my own opinion)

1. DeSean Jackson - Dynamic - Solves Alot of problems for us in that he can return, and overall one of those "playmakers" on the field. He is very small, but he is really quick, fast, agile, and is more NFL ready (imo) than Ginn jr. was last year. Even now, I still don't see Jackson falling to us, no matter how many analysts say it.

2. Chris Johnson - ^^ Read above, except he also can contribute as the 3rd down back. Our team is pretty average in the speed category, and C. Henry looks like he closes his eyes everytime he runs. I don't think more carries will fix that.

3. Mario Manningham - This guys is fast, and I'm glad he did better at his pro day on his 40, because it is extremely misleading with him. He is definantly a good WR, and was clutch. If I heard this name when the Titans pick, I don't see how anyone could complain. He can definantly catch too.

4. Quentin Groves - Really good at pass rushing, fast and athletic. Not sure DE is really a strong need anymore, considering we signed Kearse, and had Kalimba Edwards come in.

I'm actually warming up to the Titans choosing Jerod Mayo in the 1st. I went from cold to luke warm :/

4. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

No need for Mayo because MLB isn't an important position on our def. yes he can play OLB but we have Bulluck and Thornton and they have I'd say 2-4 years give or take left.

Yeah Austin Bill your right Sweed is a burner..........in no pads and on a fast track. Whatch film Sweed looks more like a 4.55-4.6 range runner he doesn't get ideal seperation.

5. Deuce Wayne

Austin Bill, I've ALWAYS said the combine is pointless. Always. And it proves to be pointless every year. Nobody catches on though.

6. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

The combine is far from pointless.

There are 6 elements of the NFL combine. I would rank the value of them as follows:

1. Medical tests
    2. Team/player interviews
    3. Individual position drills
    4. Speed, strength and agility tests
    5. Height and weight measurements
    6. Wonderlic test

If a guy runs a great 40, but stinks at positional drills, interviews with teams and has a medical issue that raises a red-flag, then his 40 time ain't gonna help him one bit.

!ut take Jeremy Zuttah the O-lineman from Rutgers. He checked out fine medically and interviewed great. He also tested really well at both the O-line drills and ran one of the fastest 40 times for a guy his size. There is no doubt that his performance at the combine made more scouts go and re-watch his game tape and his stock is definitely on the rise as a result.

7. Carpy

To answer the original question, my answer is Devin Thomas.

I think he's the best receiver in this class. He has good size, good speed and exceptional hands. He reminds me a lot of Andre Johnson.

If you are in any doubt, watch his highlight video on youtube and pay particular attention to how cleanly he catches the ball and his ability to create after the catch.

Outside of Thomas, I don't want a WR in rd 1. If it means trading up in 2 to get the guy they want, then I'm fine with that.

8. Deuce Wayne

The combine IS pointless for top prospects. Had to clarify.

9. Deuce Wayne

Devin Thomas better hope he gets to play teams like IGSU (who knows who that is?), Penn State, UAB and Indiana in the pros. It's bad that I'm a Mich fan and never knew who he was.

10. Carpy

I agree that all Big Ten schools suck and he obviously had a soft schedule against teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana etc. (That is your point, right?)

Actually, your lack of knowledge on players from schools other than Michigan has been blatantly obvious in your 4000 odd posts to date, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Stats are one measure, but watch the film to see how the guy plays. He didn't have a NFL-caliber QB throwing the ball to him, but his ability shone through regardless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar