Bennett's sideline play

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Brian, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Whatever. If Bennet goes for the ball and gets a couple of ribs cracked you'd be complaining about him being injured and if he doesn't go for the ball you'd be complaining about him being a pansy.

You're already complaining about Odom injuring his knee, something no S&C coach can ever prevent.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that's what WRs do. guys like bennett(slow, big, possession) make a living going over the middle making tough catches and taking big hits. if he isnt willing to do that, then he shouldnt be on the field.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

getting injured because you went for an underthrown ball that was uncatchable to begin with may be heroic , but it'd be stupid

had we been down and REALLY needed it that'd been one thing
    but we weren't in that situation

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it was not an underthrown ball. it was thrown a yard next to him, he could have easliy caught it. he saw the safety and didnt want to get hit. that's really all there was to it.

and i dont see how losing or winning should effect someone's effort in catching a ball. if it's catchable, you TRY to catch it.

5. The Don

The Don Upsetting The Apple Cart

The problem I had with the call was this:

The umpire, (back judge, side judge, whomever) that was in front of the play, in other words looking at the front of Drew Bennett, called the pass complete. He was about eight yards away from where Drew went OB, and marked the spot with his foot.

Suddenly, the umpire that was behind the play, in other words looking at Drew's back, came running in and called the pass incomplete. He was about fifteen yards away from where Drew went OB.

I don't know what the hierarchy is in the world of the officials, but the ref with the clearest view of the play was trumped by the ref who was not only behind the play, but was farther away from it.

Clearly, a bonehead call. Sunday was full of bad calls across the league actually. The frustrating thing is that there is no recourse.

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

OK, here is why I think they ruled it incomplete. Right foot down, he catches the ball in front of him with both hands (no bobble), left foot down he starts bringing the ball into his body, right foot down on the stripe he secures it to his body. I think if he leaves the ball in just his hands and doesn't bring it back to him they would have ruled it a catch. Not saying they are right, just trying to figure what they were thinking.

7. Brian

Brian Big Fan

I think you're right.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I call for a change of S & C Coach because injuries have been piling up for 3 or 4 years now.

That is no coincidence, and these injuries are not happening because of 'tough plays' like a WR going for a ball when he is about to get killed.

When we were winning with McNair playing hurt all that time, if he didnt get those tough yards and take those shots because he played like a pansy we wouldn't win.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

There's the kicker. Except for the one odd year in 2004, we haven't been hit any worse by injury than any other team. Just look at how many players on other teams are on IR compared to us.

Besides, the nature of McNair's injuries were never serious enough to physically prevent him from playing (like an ACL tear, busted spleen, etc.).

If you have a team with a ton of hamstring injuries and the like, sure blame the S&C coach, but ligament tears, concussions, broken ribs, fingers, etc. is beyond what any coach can prevent. You can't prevent turf toe either, it's a hyperflexion of the toe joint caused by excesive force applied while pushing off with the front of the foot, to prevent that you need to teach different running styles or come up with orthopedic protective devices which is the team doctors area.

It'd be fun to see a list of our injuries that you think can be attributed to the S&C coach.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Watterson has been long considered one of the better S&C coaches in the league

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar