Bennett Optimistic About '06 Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We don't have a #1 or 2..

Teams will cover givens and bennett based on physical matchups and personel more than simply who they think is the #1. Bennett could face the opponents best corner one week and not the next. So i agree with our Italian friend that bennett should benefit.

I don't think there will be much drop off between bennett and givens and our 3rd and 4th guys. Roby and williams will be better and hopefully jones can be back. Wade might also be in the mix; he caught 42 balls in 2004 with 23 first downs.

Stopping the titans this year won't be a matter of shutting down one guy. We have a lot of guys to worry about.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I really agree with that RT. I think it makes us more dangerous, if anything. I wouldn't trade Givens and Bennett for a "true #1". I think we'll have a really solid group of receivers, like the pats passing game for the last few years, at least in theory. Volek can dump it off to the best mismatch. That's what people keep saying about Chow, isn't it? That he knows how to find good mismatches? I think the balance is a better system anyway.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Id easily trade Givens or Bennett for Chad Johnson or Torry Holt.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

But would you trade both? I wouldn't.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

6. Architect

Architect Pain Train

I have a feeling that williams or roby will just have a break out season this year... just to suprise some

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Anyone have any bad feelings?

8. I think i'd trade both of em for a pure #1, we stick a young possesion type receiver at #2 and there you have it, simple as making a cup of tea

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

CJ easily.

Holt is too old.

10. Nine

Nine Starter

I see the Titans WR corps for this year being similar to that of the Seahawks last year....no prototypcal #1 WR, but three or four guys who are solid #2 WR's.

This approach may actually be more difficult for opponents to defend, since they can't focus on any one particular guy. If they try to lock down on Givens, Bennett is in single coverage...and vice versa. If they double both of them, then Wade is in single coverage....or Roby...or Roydell/Calico/Orr. You get the picture. (And of course, we haven't even mentioned Troupe, who could very well end up with numbers worthy of a #2 wideout. Leaving him in single coverage is suicide.)

In short, I don't think we'll see any eye-popping numbers from any of the wideouts...partly because Chow will spread the ball around, and partly because I'm expecting a heavily run-oriented offense this year. But as a whole, I think the WR's overall body of work will be quite effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar