Bench Collins NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

^

I do think it's reasonable to think he "quit", or did not want to go back in the Jags game.

However if he really QUIT, then he wouldn't be in the NFL now, would he?

That was my point. And I just won't condemn his career, like so many here did, because of that moment of weakness and whatever happened the following 48 hours.

I also thought it was too early to call for Vince after 2 weeks, however I was wrong on that. One thing to remember about the situation is that Collins looked rough in preseason. If Vince looks terrible in preseason and is horrible during the first two weeks, I'll understand a "Start Collins Now!" thread. If our backup is a 7th rounder named Meat, then I think it would be ludicrous to call for a change. Collins can have success with this team as a game manager. Unfortunately, on paper, our defense looks terrible so I don't think a game manager would win us anything.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

First, I think we'd all agree that a lot of our first losses were not all on Collins. But the reality is, his fit with the team was not as good due to circumstances. While the biggest problems were our DL not getting pressure and our OL's inconsistency, we had no alternatives to solve those issues. We did have a mobile running QB to shake things up and make the offense a better move the chains offense. Whether Collins deserved to sit after 2 games is a moot point. They needed to change something and they did.

In '06 he had more TD's than turnovers so how is that a bad season...especially it being his rookie season - something even Peyton Manning didn't accomplish? The '08 season was not a season since he was injured and didn't even play a full game and he obviously had more TD's than turnovers last season. Even in '07 when he had a lot more turnovers than TD's, he still made improvements (threw for more yards and increased his completion percentage by more than 10%). His '07 was a necessary growing pain for a running QB learning to become a 'pocket passer.' Would you agree that young QB's typically go through a learning curve?

And btw, Peyton Manning had more turnovers than TD's in his first season. A horrible season or a necessary growing pain??? Young QB's need to develop and some of that development has to be playing on the field.

I don't understand, first you say there's a chance a QB playing much better might be luck but then you said his fundamentals were undeniably improved. Even if ONLY his fundamentals and decision-making are improved...isn't that improvement? So what exactly do you think might be a fluke about his overall improvement? In my eyes, he clearly knew and understood the offense much better, made better decisions, didn't fall apart after making a 'big' interception, and showed he can win a game in the 4th qrtr with his arm and not his legs. His composure and leadership were evident on and off the field. He also showed the ability to make some big time deep throws (most of which were dropped) under pressure.

I'm not happy when anyone makes a bad decision. McNair getting 'off' didn't please me just as Leonard Little and the Browns WR who killed people basically got off with a slap on the wrist. That's life, not football and it upsets me.

I agree with the consistency part. I think you can see from his interviews, work ethic, ect. that he grew up. When he made the big play and was asked about it, he gave all the credit to everyone else. When he screwed up, he took responsibility. That's growing up in a spotlight...something a lot of people don't do. But yes, we need to see him do that this year...and the next...and the next...ect.

Thanks to you too. Civilized discussion is always the best!!!

Gut

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

much better actually. :ha:

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. joeman546

joeman546 Rookie

I was always of the opinion that age just caught up to Collins last year. Looking at alot of his games in the beginning, most of the mistakes were not his. All to often someone dropped the ball in some key moment and he suffered from it. The thing was that towards the end of his games last year, his still-then laid back attitude did not end up impacting the team in anyway. He is to old to make a few of those outstanding plays to inspire a team. This is VY's specialty.

To be successful as a QB, VY just needs the touch pass and pocket presence, as well as the ability not to be wrapped up in any single phase of his game. The final part of that is still something he needs to work on, but as long as he is progressing then I am behind him.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

If Vince looks bad in preseason and/or the first couple games, I won't be the one calling for Collins. KFC is Vince injury insurance and nothing more in '10.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

A backup QB named Meat? That's awesome.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

You are right.

To clarify, I understand if someone would call for KfC after 2 weeks into next season if Vince is abysmal because Vince is so disliked around here. And KfC has some proven success. Which was really my point, that I can understand calling for a backup with some proven positive history, but not a start Meat thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar