Bench Collins NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Well, you didn't mind mentioning Vince's passing yards without mention of his attempts in that post, but I was actually referencing this post:

but it doesn't matter.

Par for the course, you missed the point. Was Akili Smith as big a bust as Leaf? Does it even matter? You don't seem to mind keeping them in like company in your posts. If Vince hadn't played again after '08, I'm sure most people would have his name right next to Leaf's and Smith's just because of the fact he would have been a very big bust. No matter what he did in '06, he would have been known as the big bust that quit on his team.

Just to reiterate, this is pointless. He did play after '08, and he is making progress. Those who were wrong about Vince ever playing well again said they were. You were given credit, as well as several others for sticking by your guy. That was then. Now it just looks like you guys want your "humper" tag back.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

After 2006, Vince could NEVER be considered as big of a bust as Leaf or Smith.

Sure, he could still have been a "bust" as a NFL QB. But he could no longer be considered one of the biggest bust in NFL history, a la Leaf and Akili.

If Vince never played another down after 2008, and people tried to make a serious argument that Vince is as big a bust as Akili or Leaf, they are wrong.

Does it matter? I say yes. Not the difference between Akili and Leaf. But the difference between those that at least had some success, versus those that had NONE.

How about this. Can I start a rant about how Kenny Britt is going to be a huge bust equal to Mike Williams? Can I also mention this opinion in nearly every thread regardless of topic? Can I allude to Britt being a homosexual? Can I refer to him as a window licking retard? Can I refer to anyone that defends Britt as "only a Rutgers fan" and "can't wait til he's off the team so you'll leave this forum"? Can I ignore stats, gameplay, and any accolades that would hinder my point of view? Can I use the criteria, that as long as he's out of the NFL in 5 years, regardless of his performance, he was as big a bust as Mike Williams?

Instead of just me, can we have half the forum worth of posters make these inane comments?

And then, when Britt is an all pro, can I defend my remarks with "after 2009, he could've been as big a bust as Mike Williams, he was on that route"? Can I also justify all those original comments as "not overboard"?

I wouldn't view that as vastly different to the attitude towards Vince by a decent group of posters here. Some posters who don't or didn't like VY have acted more sensible, but some took every opportunity to bash VY with whatever overboard crap they could come up with.

I'd also like to add there must be at least 50 haters on this forum that were on the sideline when Vince "quit", heard every word between him and Fisher, went home with Vince while he got his gun, and ate wings with him at his uncle's were he "contemplated suicide". And then they drove Vince to the Titans facility and sat in on the psychological exam. I just love how everyone here is an insider that knows exactly what occurred even though hardly anything substantial was ever released to the media or discussed in interviews.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

damn Alex. Turn yourself on some FOX News or something and mellow out.

4. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Alex....For a guy who say's location "party cove", you sure are uptight a lot. Chill pill.....

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

What's your definition of love in this context...support? And which 3 horrible seasons are you referring to?

You are entitled to your opinion that he quit on the team and that is a reasonable assumption given what we know/saw. What do you mean by he 'happened to pull through it' implying something akin to luck.

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

@Alex

You still missed the point. Whatever dude. Tired of what feels like explaining things to a toddler over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and again.

7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Look at the title of this thread Gut. If Vince starts the season 0-2, would it be reasonable for me start threads like "START WHATEVER MEAT IS ON THE BENCH"? I wouldn't be hating Vince, I would just be supporting said MEAT. In this case, it was obviously and ultimately the right decision to bench Collins. I wouldn't deny that. It wasn't justly warranted by two losses though.

'06, '07, '08 would all be horrible seasons for any QB. He did take some games over in '06, but any season where a QB commits more turnovers than TD's is a failure.

It's not just an assumption Gut (on quitting). We all saw it. None of us like what we saw, and some have a hard time accepting it.

As for "seems to have improved", there's a chance what we saw was a fluke/luck. We all saw him win games this past season. He was taking games over again. But then again, we've seen this before, haven't we? As far as fundamentals, such as mechanics and vision, it's undeniable his play was improved. He made better decisions with the ball. There has to be something said for consistency, however, and that's why I think this upcoming season is his make or break year.

I reiterate, some simply have a hard time accepting what they saw. The good news is there were consequences for his actions. Remember how happy we were (most of us) when McNair beat those charges on a technicality, and didn't have to miss any football? Where might he be now if he hadn't beat those charges? I hate to think it... I hope you're right about Vince growing up. A year on the bench might have done him some good. Good consistent play from the QB would be a shot in the arm for this team, as it was in the latter half of last season. I am skeptical, however, and for good reason. One more good solid year out of Vince, and I'll be right there with you in saying, "VY grew up!".

Anyway, thanks for not twisting or sensationalizing my words and responding with a calm demeanor. If you misunderstood me, I hope I cleared it up.

8. Alex1939

I'm fanatical about the Titans, its my weakness.

What I meant to say was...

I was right, you were wrong, nana nana boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.

Better?

9. Alex1939

It's crazy how he quit on the team yet was on the sidelines every week in a Titans uniform. How does that work?

Yeah, it's different. I'll let Kyle Vanden Bosch explain it to you.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/titans/2009-06-17-young-remarks_N.htm

Vince wasn't just "meat on a bench", he was a good quarterback on the bench.

Here's a story about another Quarterback that "quit on the team"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface122409

I hope we view Vince's career not only as favorably but more favorably than McNair when his career is over.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I really don't see the point. He was on the sideline the rest of the year and that somehow proves he didn't quit in the Jags game? You know what proves he quit? When he quit. That's what proved it. When he was sitting on the sideline, and Fisher basically had to toss him back on the field where he was supposed to be. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows that's what happened. If you don't think he quit, why do you bring up shiny examples of other players who quit? If you didn't believe he quit, it would be irrelevant.

I never said he was the first player to quit, and I didn't call him meat. I said meat because I'm not sure Collins will be the backup going into this upcoming season. I don't know who the backup will be, so at this point, it's just meat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar