Belechick Blows Game on Moronic 4th Down Attempt

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ColtKiller, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

No because faulk bobbled the ball initially.

those who say they should have gone to welcher the answer is they did on the previous play but powers jumped the route and knocked the ball away.

I agree a dumb call but if a team was going to go for a 4th and 2 in that spot they were as good as any. Faulk and welcher are among the best in the league for getting that first down and brady is a hall of fame bound QB.

Personally i would never have done it as a coach because i wouldn't want the blame that would come if unsuccessful but a coach with 4 super bowl appearences and 3 wins maybe is beyond that concern.

2. iQon

iQon Starter

It's not smart to go for it on your own 28 against Seyton Manning. But are we going to act like he wouldn't have drove down the field for 6, regardless? I don't care who was on the other side of the ball. A TD was imminent.

3. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Nothing logical explains that call. :hmm:

So after lots of thought I have come up with only two logical concluscions. Either A: Somene in Vegas made a lot of money

or

B:Belicheck knows the pressure of going undefeated and wants the Colts to carry it into the offseason when they get a rematch.

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Or
    C. He was afraid to give Manning the ball, period. He knew his only shot was a 4th down conversion and running out the clock on offense. Just didn't work

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Once again look at who his QB is and who his play makers are. He simply didn't want peyton manning to get the ball anywhere on the field and liked his chances of making it.

In baseball they talk about playing the percentages. Well 59% of the time they make that first down. That's what the percentages said.

As i said before this call pays homage to manning's greatness when a coach feels the way to win is to not let him have the ball.

Didn't jeff fisher take similar drastic action against manning in 04 with all those onside kicks? The only way to stop him is to keep the ball out of his hands.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Is the 59% their fourth down conversion rate? I bet few have been for more than 4th-and-1. I bet fewer by the pass.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

59% on 4th and 2 or less was the stat they showed.

They showed some other stats that were also pretty good.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Good question I heard on the radio this morning...

If the logic was that Manning would easily get the TD regardless of where he got the ball, would the Pats have gone for it if it was 4th-and-2 on their own 8-yard line?

9. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

Belechick has no faith in his defense. I wouldnt have had so much issue with the call if it was further down the field (colts 40..you dont wanna kick the long FG and risk missing it so you go for it) but to make that call in your OWN territory..blows my mind. The risk there was much higher then the reward. Make payton EARN it..your not going to blow every team out..so your defense is going to have to make plays in the playoffs. Quite possibly in a 2 minute drill situation. If I were a member of that defense..I would be beyond p*ssed !!

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO the odds of making that first down were around 100% if Brady goes to Moss or Welker. Why the heck are they throwing to Faulk who is basically lined up on the LOS like a slot WR. Were they planning on the S playing off him? With a spread formation like that Welker and Moss had single coverage. Moss kind of jogged off the line but if you watch Welker he had his guy beat by 2 yard cutting over the middle. The easiest guy to cover on that play and jam at the LOS was Faulk ( a RB) who should have at least been in motion or something at the snap IMO. IMO it might have taken some guts but what if Brady throws a fly to Moss on that play. I bet Moss gets behind the defense so easy it isn't funny.

So IMO they should have punted, the odds were best to win that way but if you do run a play run a darn good one that will work.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar