BCS Race is exciting

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alex1939, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

It wont ever happen. You would be losing so many bowl games, and then money, if you resorted to a playoff between the conference champs. I think the best and most likely scenario is to do what they are doing, but add one more BCS bowl, which would be the top 2 teams after the bowl season. Obviously still not perfect, but it is better.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

You wouldn't have to get rid of bowl games just because of a 10 team playoff.

And there would still be some interesting matchups, high dollar, for the bowls. Just think if a few big name teams get upset in championship games. Like if Michigan and Tennessee lost in a championship game, didn't make the playoffs, but played in a bowl... there would still be plenty of diehard UT and Michigan fans that would sell out the bowl game and bring in plenty of revenue.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I cant see much interest in those games. It would be like the NIT basketball tournament. Sure, if your favorite team is playing you might watch. But in your above scenario, I could care less to watch UT or Michigan in a more or less meaningless game, while there is a playoff going on with teams playing for the national title.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I just don't get why this has to be so hard.
    You make the Bowls as much a part of the playoffs as possible. That still allows the bowls to do their thing with far more interest in the games. IMO the Bowls have to be the first tier of the playoffs. It is total nonsense to try and sell a playoff system to people who gripe we have too many games as it is and then expect teams who lose to still go back and play a bowl game. If we had 8 teams in the playoffs that is only 4 games. 4 of the most watched and publicized games of the year.

Secondly, there are people who actually like the BCS format, myself included. I have no problem if two teams from the same conference are in the playoffs and I have no problem if even one of the big conferences isn't represented in some years. The idea here is to get the best 8 teams possible. No free passes to some team that wins their conference in a down year and no penalties if two powerhouse teams happen to be in the same conference and the system is still fair if a team like Hawaii get sneak into the top 8. Although the NCAA basketball tournament does have automatic bids they are picking 64 teams. Auto bids doesn't really hurt with that many teams. Past the auto bids the idea is to get the best remaining teams. Same logic shouold apply in football but there are only 4 or 8. The BCS format just acts like the selection committee.

Thirdly, I have no problem looking at significant wins and losses when determining the top 8 teams that will make the playoffs (we have to have some system) but I do have a real problem with using that as the sole way of determining only the top 2 teams. My gosh, think how assinine it sounds when one guy says he thinks LSU should be #1 and another guys says it should be Kansas and then those guys start arguing about significant wins or loses. We have been so brainwashed by this stupid system we actually think we can determine which team is better based on statistics. Last time I checked sports was about settleing things on the field. 9 out of 10 people polled last year would have said Ohio State was the #1 team going into the Florida game at the same time spilling out how they dominated this team or that team and this conference is better than that conference but then when Florida basically ripped Ohio State a new butt hole did any of that matter? Again, we can use some system to figure out the top 8 but the finla 4, the final 2 and the champion are settled on the field.

5. Alex1939

Huh?

USC at Arizona State tommorow night. Rose bowl and possible nat'l champ indications for Arizona state. Should be an interesting matchup for a Pac 10 game.

I'll probably be watching some of the colts, but will definately give some glances at this game.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

That game as far as USC making the top 2 and playing in the national championship is meaningless to them. It obviously does have ramifications for Arizona State.

If we had an 8 team playoff those two teams would be essentially playing for a playoff spot (Arizona is #6 and wouldn't want to drop, USC is #11 and looking to get into the top 8). Who gives a flip about the Rose Bowl if in the end the game is fairly meaningless anyway. But if the Rose Bowl included Ohio State and one of these teams in a playoff contest it would be huge. I might even watch the game.

7. Alex1939

If USC wins, don't they have a chance to win the PAC10, and play in the Rose bowl? I'd say that's pretty meaningful. It's a big honor every year for the PAC10 and BIG10 teams that make the rose bowl, and rarely has the rose bowl, in its history, determined the national championship.

8. Alex1939

Forget ASU's chances. Gives Ohio State another glimmer of hope.

Hopefully today's Arkansas/LSU game will be more exciting.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It would be about 100X more meaningful if they were playing Ohio State in the Rose Bowl as part of the 8 team playoff. Their win over Arizona State would have meant so much more. Now all the Rose Bowl is is a consolation prize. I doubt Ohio State gives a flip if they play in the Rose Bowl if they have a chance at being in the top 2 and playing in a meaningful game. Ohio State hopes they don't go to the Rose Bowl.

Again it is all about perspective. We have been brainwashed because in the past going to the Rose Bowl or the Sugar Bowl was about all teams had to play for unless you are in the top 2. It was almost better when we didn't have a championship game and by chance we might have #1 playing #5, #2 playing #3 and so on. Then at least any of those teams with a win had an outside shot and the games actually were more than consolation exhibition contests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar