BCS Race is exciting

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alex1939, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well with 32 game playoff, and assuming you take a team with a conference championship game, that could be 18 games for a team that makes it to the final and plays a conference championship game. That's a lot of wear and tear for a college student/athlete in a very violent game. I think 8 is more feasible.

And I've said this before and I'll say it again..... With an 8 team playoff where the selection is done by polls... I will ***** everytime UT has 1 loss and finishes 9th just missing the playoffs. Or a 16 game playoff decided by polls and UT has 2 or 3 losses and is 17th and just misses out. All because of polls. (which are probably the biggest part of the problem in college football to begin with)

2. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Polls are no doubt the biggest problem.. There's no real way you can make it perfect but I'd rather argue over 8 and 9 other than just being stuck with who ever they decide to let play for the Nat'l Championship.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

What if your team had one loss and ended up being #3 in the polls and one of the top teams also had one loss? I guess you would be happy with that? That is the system we have now.

I seriously doubt we would ever have a playoff with more than 8 teams but you have to admit you would rather make the mistake of leaving out a team at #9 than leave out a team at #3. We some how have been brain washed by this idea the polls know what they are doing and people really beleive that LSU is #1 when they have no more stake to that postion with one loss than a bunch of other one loss teams. I agree they have a purpose but the purpose to me is to more or less tell us who the top 10 teams are and that is about as accurate as they can be. I don't disagree that LSU might very well be one of the top two teams in the nation but it is all speculation. There are other one loss teams that have every bit as much right to that claim IMO. LSU lost to a team that now has 4 losses. After next week they might have 5. Does that make them anymore substantial than Ohio State or anyone else with one loss? Using the polls is a decent way to decide what teams should get into a playoff IMO but when it comes to splitting hairs and deciding who is #2 or #3 the system stinks.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Yes. LSU has beated 2 teams currently ranked in the top 12, OSU, WVU, and Az State have beaten none. Missouri and Kansas will work itself out. But with regards to OSU, WVU, and AZ state, then LSU has accomplished more on the field than any of those teams. Is it perfect? Of course not. But with the system we have no one has a claim that they have accomplished more to this point than LSU.

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Rankings are precisely the problem.. LSU beat 2 ranked teams... Big Deal! Ranked teams get beat all the time by teams that aren't ranked or are ranked much lower.. The ranking system is a farse. Half the time teams are ranked higher because they're more popular. Look, I've always been a ND fan.. I grew up in Indiana and followed them all my life but I know that they get the benefit of the doubt way to often. I'm all for play-offs.

It needs to be settled on the field!

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

To have a playoff system rankings are still going to come into play. You can not like rankings all you want, but unless you are just going to resort to only conference champions being playoff eligible, then rankings are going to come into play at some point or another. And a team with the same amount of losses, but with more wins over ranked opponents, deserves to be ranked higher than another team with few wins over ranked opponents.

College basketball plays it off on the court, but are you telling me rankings dont come into play with regards to at large tournament teams? Of course they do. There is no way college football can operate without using rankings at some level.

7. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

When I'm refering to not liking rankings I mean that I don't like them dictating our Nat'l Chamion... I understand that they will have to be used to some degree like they do in Basketball. With Basketball, you are pretty much garaunteed to get the best teams in the tourney when you take the top 65. If they did the same thing in College Football (obviously not 65 teams) then it would be safe to assume that the best teams would be there. As it goes now, we are never assured that the best team is ever there.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I dont necessarily disagree with that. But you seemed to have an issue that I said LSU deserved the top spot right now, because they had beaten higher ranked teams than the other one loss teams. I realize you would like a playoff and more teams to get a chance (which I dont disagree with), but surely you think the level of wins a team has should come into play when determining if they earn a playoff spot. (assuming youd have at least a few at large bids).

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's the best idea, imo. If you can't win your conference, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs. That's why the best first step for college football would be for every conference to have a championship game.

Why not just have a 10 team playoff with the conference winners? (ya know, screw the Sun Belt... sorry blue raiders)

Yes I would be happy with that. Because the way I look at, if you lose a game, there went your guarantee to be in the championship game. As it is all you have to do is go undefeated in a major conference and you will make it to the championship game. So if UT loses, and a different one loss team makes it, sure I'd rather it be tennessee.. but i can easily live with it.

And that's all cool... except for Auburn :cry: That ones still hurts me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar