BCS Race is exciting

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alex1939, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I think it will be LSU-WV in the title game.

LSU-Arkansas on Friday will be a good game...!

2. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

Rose Bowl will be?

Osu and?

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm disappointed to see this thread to turn into another "***** and moan; bash the BCS" topic.

I really made this to discuss exactly how exciting this college football has been and how the BCS championship race (hate it all you like) is pretty entertaining and interesting to see who will survive and make the game. I mean, can't we just all enjoy some college football.

Ryan, I think if the BCS championship game ends up SEC vs. Big 12 then doesn't the Pac10 automatically get the rose bowl bid with the big10? So i would think it would be OSU vs. ASU.

LSU-West Virginia is a pretty good guess for the championship game. But that would mean that Missouri would have to beat Kansas and then lose in the championship game to Okla. It does seem like a likely scenario but after seeing Oklahoma lose this past saturday, I dunno.

I bet the BCS race would be very tight between Ohio State and West Virginia to determine who would play against LSU.

Yeah, the next shocker would be a LSU loss to Arkansas. Not likely, but anything can happen. I'm disappointed in how absolutely terrible UT looked against Vandy. I mean, they won in knoxville 2 years ago and Ainge & company didn't look excited about the revenge game at all. It was very disappointing and it makes me wonder if UT can actually beat Kentucky to make it to the SEC championship.

One of my friends made an interesting observation, if somehow Ainge and the Vols beat LSU and win the SEC, Ainge will have accomplished as much as Manning did in his UT career and will be heralded as one of the best UT Qbs ever.....

However, if UT had lost to Vandy, losing twice to them in four seasons and failing to make a championship game appearance with Ainge starting, he would've went down as one of the worst and biggest chump QBs in UT history.

Amazing what one point can do for a career.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I completely agree. That is why I would like to keep the BCS format. However, even if Kansas wins out that still only leaves one undefeated team and IMO an argument could be made until the end of time if Ohio State or another one loss team isn't every bit deserving as LSU to be playiing in the title game. LSU lost to Kentucky, West Virginia lost to confernce rival South Florida on the road, Ohio State lost to a good Illinois team in a conference game. What if Missouri wins out? What about Arizona State? If we at least had 4 teams in a mini playoff the system wouldn't be perfect but at least it wouldn't be based on pure speculation as to which teams deserve to be in the top 2. An 8 team playoff would be perfect IMO and wouldn't take anything away from teams having to win out to make sure they are in the top 8.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I dont understand this whole notion of giving credit for losses. A loss is a loss, and OSU and LSU both have won loss and I dont think we should weigh the losses. We should weigh the wins. LSU has a victory over VT, currenty a top ten team in the BCS poll, a victory over Fla who is ranked 12, and then will have either GA or TN, both also in the BCS top 25, with GA being in the top 10. OSU's top victory is over #21 Wisconsin. So I cant see any type of reasonable argument where OSU should be ranked above LSU (and of course that is if LSU wins out). WVU has 2 wins over current BCS top 25 teams, Cinci and UCONN. And AZ state currently has no wins over a top 25 team, but they do play USC this week. Regardless, I cant see how anyone can possibly argue that LSU isnt the most accomplished one loss team. Who cares about who their one loss was too, you should be looking who they beat.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The one key issue for the BCS which will forever be a stumbling block is that teams have no control on how strong their opponents are and are penalized for weaker schedules. For example, OSU may be ranked higher had Michigan won more games.

7. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

The BCS is the most lame-brained idea i've ever heard of... We have more than enough time to have as big of a play-off as we want. 16 team, 32 team, 8 team, or WHATEVER! It baffles my mind that the NCAA actually rationalizes this way of deciding a Nat'l Champion.. I don't follow College football nearly as close as I would if there was a play-off and i always pull for the team that will screw up the BCS the most...

8. Alex1939

More lame than when there was no championship game and the prior bowl systems?

I think 32 seems to many without reducing the college schedule.

I would prefer a playoff system if it's done the right way. But I'm concerned with how you accurately select 8 out of 100+ teams that only play 11 games in a season.

At least with the BCS Championship game, every year (except 1 :irked: ) a team has to go undefeated to be guaranteed a spot in the championship game. In a brutal way, I like that logic. Win every game, and you can't ***** (unless your Auburn :irked: ). Otherwise if you lose a game, quit your *****ing cause you lost, so we'll see if you deserve a spot. Harsh, I know, but I kinda like that.

I just think if a playoff is done incorrectly it will create near as much complaining as the BCS has.

9. Alex1939

Some of the exciting games this weekend....

Thurs: #11 USC at #6 Arizona State

With a win over USC, could that vault Arizona State to the #3 BCS team, ready to step in the title game if LSU or the big 12 falters?
    The winner of this game will likely be in the Rose Bowl.

Fri: Arkansas at #1 LSU

LSU needs this win to stay in the national championship picture. Arkansas features a deadly running game with a likely top 5 pick in next year's draft with McFadden.

Fri: #19 Boise State at #15 Hawaii

Hawaii's biggest test of the season. With this win and a little help they can get a few higher spots in the BCS standings and guarantee themselves a spot in a BCS game.

Sat: #20 Connecticut at #3 West Virginia

West Virginia needs the win to try and stay in the #3 BCS spot.

Sat: # 8 Virginia Tech at # 16 Virginia

The winner goes to the ACC Championship game. A win there guarantee's a spot in a BCS game.

Sat: #4 Missouri at #2 Kansas

No game may be more important than the saturday night game on ABC. The winner of this game will go on to the Big 12 Championship game to likely face Oklahoma or possibly Texas. The winner of this game will likely be the #2 BCS team going into next weekend (assuming Missouri would jump W.Virginia with a win).

This last real weekend of the regular season is stacked with games, and those are just a few of the bigger one's I listed. Of course in the southeast we'll hear about he big state rivalries this weekend... Ole Miss/Miss State and Auburn/Alabama. Just pride on the line but always an important game to the faithful.

And of course Tennessee needs to win at Kentucky to make it to the SEC championship, which a chance for revenge to spoil LSUs season, the way they did to UT not so long ago...

10. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Well, most of these teams have four, five, and even six weeks off untill they play their bowl game... You wouldn't have to shorten the schedule at all.

Use the BCS system to select the 8 or 16 teams... That would also take away some of the importance of the stupid rankings that don't mean squat early in the season. Those early rankings are never accurate ie: UT Vols being ranked #2 in the country a couple years ago and ended up hardly bowl elgible.

The importance of winning every game is exciting to me to but even with a play-off your going to have to win practically every game and teams with the best records will be rewarded with higher seeds.

I don't see how any play-off with 8 or more teams could be done incorrectly. Anything is better than voting.
    Anything!!

I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar