bcs mess

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fry, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Once again... let me clarify...

I'm not saying the BCS is the best system. I am in FAVOR of a college playoff.

I'm not in favor of jumping into a college playoff system that is NOT FAIR. I want fair playoffs in college, the way they are FAIR in the pro's.

I think the best way to do that, is have a conference championship game, and that is the "first round" of the college playoffs.

Also, in that system... Conference : NCAA :: Division : NFL. (Conferences are to the NCAA as Divisions are to the NFL.)

The SEC, BIG12, ACC could all do away with their divisional format. I'd like to see the two best SEC teams in the SEC Championship every year, regardless if those teams are both EAST or both WEST teams.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The BCS is still better than the old system that used the coaches polls and the AP. If the coaches #1 and the AP #1 were different you would have 2 champs! WTF!

Also there were morons in the AP or coaches who just were not paying attention. They would favor the big traditional teams over others and notre dame got their butts kissed and were routinely over rated.

Go back 35 years and count the number of true #1 vs #2 battles in bowl games. Not that many.

And why in the flying hell does it matter when you lose a game?

Remember when notre dame beat florida state and then lost their #1 ranking after a loss to boston college? Common sense would suggest that when you have 2 teams with the same record head to head always prevails but not then. Common sense would also have meant the 2 teams matching up on a neutral field in a boel but that didn't happen either.

Remember when conferences had contractual agreements with certain bowls? Big ten and pac 10 with the rose bowl, old big 8(current big 12) with the orange and the southeast with the sugar.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

We kind of had a playoff this year though. Oklahoma won their title eliminating TT while UF won eliminating Bama, USC, and probaly Texas. Ball St. lost and Utah stays for the sugar or whichever they'll be in.

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Here's whats probably going to happen.

Orange Bowl
    Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech

Sugar Bowl
    Alabama vs. Utah

Fiesta Bowl
    Texas vs. Ohio State

Rose Bowl
    Southern California vs. Penn State

Bowl Championship Series Title game (hosted by the Orange Bowl)
    Florida vs. Oklahoma

It sucks that 4 loss Virginia Tech gets in over Boise State. The ACC NEEDS to lose their automatic bid and the Big East isn't too far away.

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I think Boise should get in over OSU too. OSU lost their 2 biggest games, one at home, and one in embarrassing fashion. Not sure how their season qualifies them for a BCS game over Boise. Although I will say, that I wish the programs like Boise would try and schedule tougher out of conference games, since their conferences are so weak. But Im still not sure why OSU should be a favorite for a BCS bid.

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Were Co Big 10 champions that's how.

Regardless we barely lost against Penn State, VT has no business in a BCS game at all. I put the ACC on the same level of Conference USA and the WAC. Big East as I said is barely hanging in there.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Your not co big 10 champions. Penn state beat you straight up on your home field, so OSU is second.

And I wasnt making a case for any of those other conferences, I agree, Id love to see their automatic bids taken away. But, the fact is, they still did earn their automatic bids. I just dont see how anyone can make a case for OSU over Boise. Boise did everything they could do, where as OSU laid an egg and their 2 biggest games. Is OSU better than BOise? Yeah, probably. But that still doesnt take away the fact that OSU has 2 losses, one of them bad, and no signature wins. Boise also had no signature wins, but they have no losses.

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

*Sigh* No you are incorrect.

And the Big 10 champions co champs or not get a BCS bid.

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Well ok, great, they are co-champs. They still didnt get the automatic bid and there is no rule saying the Big 10 co champs automatically gets a spot. Now they will get blown out by Texas. But congrats, they got the spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar