Batman (1966)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanbuoy, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I was just watching the 1966 version of Batman and it occurred to me what an underated gem of a movie this is. The campy costumes, goofy dialogue and completely ridiculous scenarios during which all the while the actors play everything completely straight. There’s no winking at the camera, everything is treated with the utmost seriousness by all involved which makes it so much better.

My parents used to tell me about how popular the TV show was in the sixties. Color TV was in it’s infancy and the novelty of having a TV shows in full color had not yet worn off. The vibrant Batman was a perfect showcase for this relatively new technology. My family was one of the first in our area to have a color set. I’m not sure how they swung this because we certainly weren’t rich. The set was a rental and you had to insert a quarter to view a certain amount of time’s worth of programming (I can’t recall the exact rate). My older sister tells me that neighbours would gather at our house to watch whatever show happened to be on (it really didn’t matter what… just the fact it was in color would draw them in). When the allotted paid time would run out and the set would shut off everyone would just sit in silence staring at the black screen, awkwardly waiting for someone to volunteer a quarter so they could continue watching . This always makes me chuckle because even though he passed away when I was fairly young, I do recall my Dad being a stereotypically cheap Scotsman. I guess that on the nights Batman was on our small living room was standing room only.

Anyways… back on point. I’m surprised how well this movie (based on the series) stands up. I guess because it’s so campy, the fact that it’s now dated only adds to the… “campiness”. The villains are fantastically colorful, both in costume and performance. Frank Gorshin (the Riddler), Caesar Romero (the Penguin), Burgess Meredith (the Penguin) and the loverly Lee Meriwether (Catwoman) are all perfectly cast in their roles and they all give stellar, over the top performances. Best of all is Adam West as the caped crusader. His dead pan performance amidst all of the camp is hysterical.

I’m not sure a movie like this could be made any more, it's such a period piece for so many reasons, yet it’s unique nature makes it timeless. Years from now when most of the current crop of superhero movies have blended into each other in my memories, I’m sure that this little bit of sixties silliness will always be an easy and vivid recollection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

the one with the anti shark repellent?

3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

That's the one.

Robin: Holy sardine!
    Batman: Hand down the shark repellent Batspray!

:ha:

4. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

My father was in college when that series was on. He said the show was extremely popular among college kids. His entire dorm used to get together in the lounge to watch the show every week.

The show was in syndication and came on after school every day when I was 7 or 8 years old. My cousin and I watched religiously and then tied towels around our necks as capes and went out to fight the bad guys afterwards.

It's great how that show works for adults as well as kids. I re-discovered it as an adult when Nick at Nite or some channel like that had a marathon of the shows and appreciated it on a whole new level. We own the 66 movie on DVD and my 5 year old son loves it. We're anxiously awaiting the release of the tv series on DVD.

I know alot of the comic purists really dislike it and some say it "ruined the franchise," but that campy, cool and colorful rendition of the caped crusader (say that 5 times real fast) has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember and I think it's fantastic.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The TV Show used to be on down here a while ago, I enjoyed it a lot when it was on.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

My favorite Batman movie..

[​IMG]

For some reason i really enjoyed that movie and have it on my 'to-do list' to watch it again.. Maybe its because it was released 1 month after i graduated high school and the fond memories are of that summer and the group of friends i watched it with instead of the movie itself.

Now that i think of it, i might not want to watch it again and rather leave it as a fond memory instead.

7. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Born in 1966, the third word I ever said was "Matman!"

[​IMG]

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I believe that was the first time I took serious notice of the fairer sex.

[​IMG]

Puuuuuuuuuuuuur.

Then there was The Big Valley.

[​IMG]

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I can't help thinking of the simpson...

The Scoutmaster- "Get 'em, Scouts!"

10. jose7

jose7 Camp Fodder

Best quote of the movie: "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar