Barry Bonds

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RyansTitans, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Here is my conspiracy theory:

The 1994 strike really pissed off the fans- the league and players union WAY overestimated the negative impact it would have and that fans would be so slow to return the game. I think at that point, steroid use became more prevalent and players, owners and league sponsors ALL became lax regarding steroid use. More homers meant more excitement, more fan interest. Soon, we had Sosa and McGwire "duking" it out for the season record. All sluggers, including Bonds were given a passive "green light" to do what was necessary to generate enough excitement to have the fans return to the game- which they did.

Then the negative (and obvious) impact of steroids entered the limelight and the league had to clean up the mess. All the sluggers were in a catch 22- they had gone to the juice because that is where the standard of the game went. I believe that it why we don't have an all out blitz to seek and destroy former steroid users. I believe there is an understanding between the league, the players and the owner's that it is in everybody's best interest to for an "amnesty" period to get it cleaned up.

Personally, I have no doubt Bonds used steroids. I also have no doubt that was a standard for at the least the sluggers to "do what was necessary" to take the game to the next lever and/or to keep up with the others. It was wrong- do doubt. But understandable and to a degree forgiveable.

Bonds has broken the record. He would have done it anyway had the whole steroid issue never been raised.

Admittedly, this post is all speculation on my part. But it is the only way I can make sense of the current steroid situation.

4. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Not taking anything away from Bonds, but I can't help but think that this should be Ken Griffey Jr.'s record. He's only 37 right now, and he's about to eclipse 600 homeruns. Had he not been injured for almost four years, he could easily be gunning for the record right now. It's sad, because Griffey was probably the best player of this generation besides Bonds.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree completely. He has ALWAYS had the closest to perfect swing of any player I've ever seen.

6. BigRed3

I think he may still have a shot at it if he plays as long as Bonds has played. If he can move to the AL and become a DH, he may could have 5 years left. 30 homers a year, and he's close. But I highly doubt that it happens though.

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

If A-Rod stays healthy he is going to surpass 800 HRs. I do think Griffey would be challenging the record as well if not for injuries, but at this point I dont think he has much of a chance.

8. BigRed3

I think there is a shot if Griffey is in the right situation. My perspective on this issue is probably slanted because i'm a big Griffey fan. He's still hitting homers at a good rate, I think he has like 26 right now, and could hit 40 before this season is over. That would put him at 603 at the end of the season. Now, if he plays until 43 like Bonds has played, that gives him five years after the end of this season. Depending on where Bonds ends his career at (for the sake of argument, let's say 765 because I don't think he's playing next year), that would give Griffey five years to hit 162 home runs, or about 33 per season. Farfetched, yeah I know, but I think there could be a chance.

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Bonds will be back next season. He is like 80 hits to 3000. You know he will want that little token as well.

10. BigRed3

Seriously, Bonds isn't at 3000 hits yet? You can take away every one of Hank Aaron's home runs and he'd still be at 3000. But I guess a lot of that has to do with the fact that all of the times he was walked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar