Bama vs Notre Dame....revenge for 66, 73, 74!!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RollTide, Dec 9, 2012.

1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

There was a whole book written about how Bama got screwed out of the national title in 1966. The thesis of the book is that segregation played the major role in Bama getting shunned. It was also the product of a flawed system and archaic thinking.

In 1966 Bama was undefeated 11-0 in the sec. They went to the sugar bowl and beat once beaten Nebraska 34-7.

Notre Dame went 10-0-1 and didn't play in a bowl game. Back them they didn't believe in it. :disappointed:

Michigan State went 10-0-1 and then lost in the rose bowl.

So how then did Bama finish only 3rd in the final AP and coaches poll?

In 1973 #1 Alabama played #3 ND in the sugar bowl and ND won 24-23 in one of the greatest games ever. The defining play was a kick return for a TD by a ND RB named Hunter #25.

ND also beat Bama in their bowl game the following year when Bama had an outside shot of the national title had they won.

Time for revenge!
  2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Don't like the BCS, check this out.

In 1966 bowl games were not considered in the final rankings. They were considered mere whimsy, meaningless exhibition games for the fans and tv. Not games that should count.

Never matter that it was an opportunity to match the top teams from different parts of the country on a neutral field. Stupid!

There was also a belief that if the number one team didn't lose they should still be number one. A 10-10 tie even to the 2nd ranked team is a blemish! ND did not win. This is not like in boxing where you keep your title if you have a draw. We don't have ties today but if the top ranked team had a tie due to bad weather or something it would hurt their rankings. In this case it did not!

The ND coach knew this so on the last drive of the game instead of trying to get in field goal range to win he sat on the ball and played for the f*cking tie!

The bcs system now is far superior to that garbage.
  3. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Starter Tip Jar Donor

Just curious...what are folks' predictions for this game? I think that Bama wins this, but I think it is closer than people think.
  4. jplusip

jplusip Starter

Bama wins 24-17.
  5. 520

520 Starter

notre dame wins by 30 thanks in part to 3 pick 6s for our future mlb teo!

disclaimer: this will not happen. none of it....besides notre dame beating alawhaaaaama thats what i call those crybabies
  6. Inaccurate Passer

Inaccurate Passer Special Teams Standout

Bama should've gotten the death penalty for cheating
  7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne Damnit, I cant find my driving moccasins anywhere!

Doesn't matter who wins this game.

We all know Oregon is the best team in the country right now.
  8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Right. :crazy:
  9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Until they lose to Kansas St? Really a shame that Oregon got K-State instead of Florida. I wanted to see Oregon against an sec team.Most likely Oregon wins over K-State 78-75. I wanted to see them against a real defense.

The BCS bowls suck royally this year. Florida playing Louisville. Northern Illinois?
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE @JCBRAVE

I say Bama wins, but they're not perfect so we'll see.

Really hope it's just an exciting game that goes all 4 quarters.