Ball Control no longer works in the NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halt

halt Starter

Agree TJ, but to get those players IMO, there must be a change in coaching philosophy that says that "we'll stay close for the first three quarters and win in the fourth quarter'. What's wrong with scoring losts of points in the first three quarters, and let the other guys worry about trying to win in the fourth.

Thanks FH2 for your thread. There are a lot of us in sec 335 that agree with you.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I assume, like everything else, the scheme will adjust according to the talent on the field.

3. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Jeff fisher change his style? Blasphemy!

Here's a guy who probably still churns 'fresh from the ***' cow milk using a manual paddle churn to make his breakfast butter, so why should you expect anything else? I'd like to see what it would take for him to finally change his philosophy and try something new. I've seen mules less stubborn than him.

Fisherball is here to stay buddy.. :cry:

4. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

This is all BS. Ball control still works. We just aren't good enough yet to consistently beat teams with ball control.

5. halt

halt Starter

That's my point. For the scheme to adjust, players with the requisite talent will have to be recruited that have the talent to meet a new scheme. I don't believe that is currently being done ie, Griffin with a #1 draft pick.

6. DJB

DJB Starter

I agree. I think "Fisherball" (whatever that is...no one seems to agree exactly what the term means) has gotten many more wins the past two seasons than the Titans should have gotten based on talent on the roster.

7. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

It's simple mathematics really.

Using this past season as an example:
    You take the same defense
    and add just a very little amount of offense, maybe just trying to score a TD once a game. I wouldn't dream of asking fisher to try to score one every time we're in the redzone just once a game.
    Add one touchdown a game to our score, 7 lousy points
    Guess what happens?
    Instead of 10-6 were 13-3 and the Colts are 12-4 and we win this division.
    We don't play SD in the first round instead WE get the bye.
    I know I know, without playing Prevent Offense or "FISHERBALL" as you like to call it. We wouldn't wear down the defense and be able to score.
    Uhhh do you see the problem with that arguement?
    We're not able to score now and we're playing prevent offense err..Ball Control so that should tell you there's a problem.
    uhhh Houston we have a problem (Not calling NASA, calling Bud)

8. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

All you guys crack me up lol :ha:

With all this talk about how the Titans have no talent :ha: :ha:

SERIOUSLY :ha:

And why do you think it is that the Titans have no talent on offense?? Huh?
    I'm about to tell you something but you're going to blow it off due to your blinding LOVE of fisher.

It's because our style of offense does not require it!!!
    When i point out how the Titans ATE 11 million dollars this past season and didn't even TRY to get any weapons for Vince. People respond with Well they tried to get keyshawn and he wouldn't play for us. TRUE but guess why none of these "TALENT" players will come to Tennessee???? It's because they know they will waste away here with thier talents not being utilized.
    You can dream all you want about us getting a big time reciever, but it will NEVER happen. NEVER!
    Prevent offense doesn't need Big time recievers. And Besides No Big Time reciever will ever want to play in Jeff's prevent Offense Why do you think Donte took LESS money to go else where Offensive players Hate playing for Jeff Fisher. Even Steve Mcnair had enough and that's why his agent orchestrated that crap <---whole nother can of worms that i don't want to get into on this thread

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

So McNair was fed up with our offense, so he went to Baltimore, one of the few teams that is just as harsh to its players stats as we are?? Right... it couldn't have been any of the other actual reasons that came out. Stallworth couldn't have ditched us to play with a top 3 qb on a dynasty. No no, it had everything to do with how terrible we were. You started out by making a decent point, but you have no examples that should be considered in your post. =(

10. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Flamehead is exactly right. We are a victim of statistical bias. In a time where fantasy football has thrived and players can make millions more because of their stats in the free agent market, why would any top receiver want to come to Tennessee? We have nothing to offer them except one of the least accurate QB's in the league and a ball control offense that will keep their stats at a minimum.

A veteran on the brink of sneaking into the hall of fame would absolutely choose not to come here almost guaranteeing they will not get the necessary stats or attention. And, a payday would certainly not be in store for any young stud unable to show his talents in our system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar