Ball Control no longer works in the NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Superbowl winning teams must be solid, but just because a team is solid, does not make them legitimate contenders. If that were the case, a team that simply kneeled on the ball 3 times and punted every possession would be bundled into the "ball control" label because they would never turn the ball over.

It would be hard to deny this years team was solid. And, it would be hard to argue we had a legitimate shot at winning a super bowl this season which would have involved winning At San Diego, At Indy, at New England, and in Phoenix. This is of course an unbiased eye watching them play, although I am just as big of fan of the team as anyone.

I'm watching 2 RB's right now (Barber, Jacobs) that would be pretty amazing pieces to our "ball control" offense. If that is the path we are going to take, we just need to make sure to get the right personnel which is where the biggest mistake lies.

2. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Great teams win championships not solid teams.

And our ball contol offense isn't very good at (no giveaways).

3. CNYTitanFan

CNYTitanFan Guest

Arguing over semantics aside, which goes on alot on this site; I agree that our team isn't good enough yet.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

better add the bolts too your list bamacolt

the pretty prancing party ponies are who I thought they were.

If you want to crown the colts then crown their arse!

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]

Keebler crackers are uncommonly good. Have been and will always be. The Pats and Colts will regress back to ordinary eventually. Another team will rise up.

6. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

a thread about "ball control" started by a guy named flamehead is starting to make me wonder....:gag:

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I think Fisherball takes ballcontrol to the extreme, when you see Fisher actually trying to set up a FG instead of taking shots at a TD.

Example, yesterday with less than a minute before half, the Giants drive down and get a TD (difference in the game).

Same situation, we've seen Fisher start off with two runs up the middle, usually for nothing. If he does get some yds, he will call plays to end in FG range, never calling anything that could result in a TD.

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I only partially agree with that. Fisherball obviously involves conservative play calling, but it doesn't prohibit guys from making plays.

There were a number of plays yesterday that made conservative playcalls look like genius and result in TDs because teams had play-makers. The Darren Sproles TD on a screen pass, the Amani Toomer long TD run after the pass, for example.

Who on our roster could have made either of those plays?

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Exactly. What we see are rarely 40-yard bombs but 10-15 yard receptions where the receiver makes someone miss.

Part of that is timing and accuracy and Young must get better in that regard. The other is the ability of the receiver to make someone miss. The Titans need more players who have the ability to do this.

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

The last two posts summed it up for me as well. There's bigger plays to be made, we just don't have the weapons. Chow shoed in college what he could do with some weapons....I hope he gets more toys and we get to see if he can do it in the NFL.

I do agree however that there is a trend to more explosive teams. Maybe the PI rules have had a big affect on that, maybe it's more of a monkey see monkey do league where others are just following the new trend. But I still think our style can win, it just needs some more talent. To get 10-6 with the talent on this team is a good coaching job imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar