Ball Control no longer works in the NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Ok lets say i admit what you just said is right (I'm not because there is no way in hell anyone but a ball control HOMER would say that what the colts did last year was ball control the closest thing to ball control in that group would be Pitt and Tampa) but for the sake of aurgument. Let's say your right.
    I'll rephrase what i said with what i meant.....

"Fisherball" no longer works in the NFL. No Fisherball type of ultra conservative coaching team has won it all in 9 years. and if you really want to find "real" fisherball style teams that were winners you really have to go back as far as the 80's so it's possible that it hasn't worked in DECADES

2. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

I'll conceed that Jacksonville is one of those new evolved ball control teams you talked about but no they aren't the traditional style like we are and ONLY we are

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

oh, the colts most definitely were a ball control offense in the playoffs last year. manning was throwing games away, but thanks to their running game(addai and rhodes) and their insanely improved defense they made it to the super bowl where manning finally broke out of his funk.

4. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Like i said you're a ball control HOMER
    That wasn't ball control by any means.
    It was score at all costs type offense that has become the norm for winning NFL teams in the last 7-10 years.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I think we should reunite Jack Pardee and Rex Ryan just to see what happends. They are both available, lol.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I can see you've taken all logic and thrown it out the door. Let's define Fisherball, since you seem to be the expert and sole authority here. You tell me which teams have run fisherball over the last 8 seasons or so and then we can pick apart why they failed and if, indeed, fisherball was the culprit. Of course, you can skip all of this useless work and just realize that there is a right way and a wrong way to coach a game and fisherball has had greater success than most others.

7. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

And how have i thrown all logic out the door?

In no post have i ever claimed to be an expert or sole authority on the contrary i feel like almost everyone here knows as much or more about football than i do. I respect yours and most others on here's opinions.

The thing is i beleive... no i KNOW that there is a paradyne (if you don't know what it means google it) shift going on in the NFL right now.
    Johnny Unitus caused one way back in the day when he started passing 20+ times a game. Thoughout the leauge NFL owners were proclaiming he was "RUINING" the game They said that the passing game would never be a big part of the NFL. Don't believe me?
    Google what i just said and see if it's true.
    People who recognize or start paradyne shifts are always made fun of and thought of as idiots.
    Columbus caused a paradyne shift. People thought he was nuts for saying the world was round. The old school thinkers treated him about the way you "Old School" guys are treating me.
    All i am saying is that when people immediately dismiss new ideas as wrong they are usually stupid people. Now I'm not calling you or anyone else here stupid. I'm just saying you should actually consider what I'm saying may be correct. After all i have considered what you're saying. really i have. As a matter of fact up until recently i agreed with you. But recently i realized that there is this Paradyne shift going on in the NFL and the game is changing. What is making the Pats so successful IMO is that bilacheck sees this shift and is exploiting it. He is doubblely successful because he is the first one to see this shift a few other teams are just begining to recognize it IMO.
    I don't expect you to read my posts and instantly realize I'm right and send me money or anything. I have no hopes of "converting" anyone here.
    I might be wrong.
    but this is the way i see things and just because this doesn't fit in with the way you see the NFL doesn't make me stupid or automatically wrong
    and just because i don't have good typing skills doesn't make me unintelligent either :)

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

lol who can take this thread seriously when the 'ball control homer' insults are being thrown around.

9. jmac1383

jmac1383 Guest

This thread is getting real confusing real fast. With all this "Ball Control, new vs. old" and "Fisherball" stuff going around. I'm trying not to sound dumb here but just say you would like us to pass more and try for more TD more often. I mean, heck I agree with you that, that sounds great, but unfortunately we don't exactly have Tom Brady and Randy Moss on our team. I mean stats might say one thing, but a "W's" a "W". If Fisher can win games with 1 point, then go ahead. And IF/When we a SB, then "Fisherball" works great. If we loose a lot then we get rid of Fisher. But it seems like "Fisherball" worked ok for a lot of the season, even if it isn't the most exciting thing to watch.

10. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

I'm trying not to sound dumb here but just say you would like us to pass more and try for more TD more often.

Ok i'll say it "I would like for us to try to get the ball in the end zone instead of playing for a feild goal"

And IF/When we a SB, then "Fisherball" works great

Well it hasn't won us one in his first 14 years. Just how long should we wait before we realize it doesn't work? Should we wait anouther 14 years then fire him?

But it seems like "Fisherball" worked ok for a lot of the season,

Against who? did you notice most of the teams we beat sucked?
    Out of his 14 seasons 9 of them we were .500 or worse.
    That means out of 14 season 5 were winning seasons.
    And duiring many of those losing years he had some of the best defenses to work with and some pretty darn good offensive players too.

Let's compare him to an actual GREAT coach, Bill cowher
    He coached 15 seasons
    Out of 15 seasons he had 11 winning seasons and won a superbowl.
    That's what a great coaches record looks like

Now let's compare him to another one of his peers, mike shanahan
    He's been head coach at denver for 13 years and had 9 winning years and won 2 superbowls. Does this sound anything remotely like Jeff Fisher?

Let's next look at what a good NFL coach's record looks like
    the recently fired Brian Billick.
    He coached for 9 seasons and had 5 winning seasons and one superbowl win.
    We're still not in Jeff's league yet

Even Herm Edwards is a better coach than Jeff. He's head coached for 7 seasons and had 4 winning seasons

How can you guys even PRETEND that Jeff is a good coach let alone a great coach? 5 winning seasons out of 14? You gotta be kidding me?
    i'd say that qualifies for the statement
    "As a head coach HE FLAT OUT SUCKS!"

Fisher is a genius at defense but face it when it comes to offense he is literally mentally retarded.
    I say demote him to DC, Fire Chow and bring in a new HC that knows Offense
    or let one of those teams that thinks he's the best in the league take him and have thier own 14 year experiment. Great coaches win superbowls people
    look how many current coaches in the NFL have done it.

mike shanahan
    Mike Holmgren
    Bill Belichick
    Tony Dungey
    Jon Gruden
    Joe Gibbs

and not a single one of them took 14 years to do it!!! I didn't check but i don't think it took any of them longer than 5 years to do it!!
    As a matter of fact as far as i can tell NO COACH THAT EVER WON THE SUPERBOWL TOOK AS LONG AS 14 YEARS TO DO IT!! It's not going to happen with Jeff face it! The facts and statistics don't lie.

Then look at all the current head coaches that won a superbowl as OC or DC
    Want me to list them? There's several.
    Marv Lewis
    Romeo Crennel
    Gary Kubiak
    Jack Del Rio
    Eric Mangini
    Mike Tomlin
    Norv Turner
    Ken Whizenhunt
    Andy Reed
    Did Jeff even do that? NOPE. Almost every current head coach in the NFL has a coaching Superbowl ring. But not Jeff. Where are his credentials?? Why do some talk about him like he's so good yet he's the only tenured coach that hasn't won Sh*t!
    Next look at all the recently departed coaches that have superbowl rings
    Bill parcells
    Brian Billic
    Bill Cower
    Mike Martz
    Dick vermeal

Everybody seems to be getting a ring or getting fired But not Jeff

You guys had better stop listening to a few TV football has beens and never were's that like Jeff and start looking at the right stats.

It's just like the idiots in Dallas that were screaming when they fired Landry except at least he had won a superbowl! His style of coaching and play calling was old and tired and didn't work anymore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar