Ball Control no longer works in the NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Fisherball/ball control no longer works in the NFL

No ball control type team is left in the Playoffs

Fisher is a dinosaur. His play calling is a joke. His style of football no longer works and unless he changes he will never win a superbowl and neither will we.

I expect all you Jeff fisher homers to attack me for this statement but history will vindicate me.

That said i didn't start this thread to bash Jeff
    The thread is about whether or not ball control still works in the NFL.

I'd like to hear recent evidence to the contrary

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

ball control works when there isn't a team like new england.

i'd also argue that san diego is a ball control team.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Marty Schottenheimer would disagree with you. lol

I don't know if Fisherball is dead, but it certainly is hard too watch when it is not working. When it is working - bashing the opponent till they quit - like against the hags in 99 it is a thing of beauty. But being almost unable to come from behind is hard too take, especially when the Titans finally falls 2 scores down. I stopped watching the PO game when Baronias missed the 40 yarder midway thru the second half. I knew the game was over. FWIW I did watch the rest of the game, just not last sunday. There was just not enough time left in the game. With a modern NFL style offense a comeback is actually possible cause the rules reward the sissy style played by the pretty prancing party ponies. Kinda rambled on there but although I believe it can work. I only believe that cause Fisher has enough of a contract left to get his guys in place and take another shot at Fisherball. Hopefully this time they cut the veterans before they are useless instead of riding them into CAP hell

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

What about football has changed? The rules are roughly the same as they were last year and the year before and the year before and the year before when ball control worked great. Then there is San Diego this year still...

It always makes me laugh when people say things like this. It's as if you believe that the way that you go about winning is more important than the talent you have to execute your style. Any style works when you have football players. As to which style is best, well, that depends on your personnel. We get players that play our style, so we are naturally suited for Fisherball. If we tried anything else, we would be in trouble.

5. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Vince young is suited for fisherball? That's why we drafted him? To hand off the ball?

What's changed in recent years are the rules governing Pass interference and pass defense in general. You used to be able to bump recievers and get them off thier routes etc.
    Why do you think the average scores of games has skyrocketed? Did you think it was due to better running game plans?

Go look at the superbowl champions for the last 7 years. All won by teams running NON ball control style teams.
    The last ball control team to win was Baltimore in 2001.
    The evidence is in my favor boys.
    Ball control is no longer winning in the NFL
    SD is NOT running a traditional ball control style gameplan either.

If we want to win a championship in today's NFL environment we'd better wake up and get on the SCORE SCORE SCORE gameplan.

6. MDTitansFan

MDTitansFan Guest

SD does run ball control, its just that their RB that controls everything busts long gains ever 3 touches. I believe maybe ball control has changed. Where in Indy they have a RB with 1300 yards, but their passing game is so prolific they can score at any time and do. Green Bay had to search for a RB to control the clock and slow things down and they did. The Pats are the only team that doesnt run the ball that are still in the playoffs. But they are from a different world. Ball control still works, its just the style of it has changed a bit.

7. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

A good running game is NOT ball control.
    Ball control encompases all aspects of the game.
    Chunking the ball down the field 10+ times a game the way New england, Dallas, Green bay, and Indy do is not ball control
    Going for it on 4th down constantly like many of the affor mentioned teams is not fisherball either. and Fisherball< Ball control

8. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

I have to admit you convinced me.
    Now that i look at it from your perspective is see that you're right! Ball control does still work. It is ball control itself that has changed.
    Only Fisher is still running the old inferior style of ball control and the winning NFL teams are running the new pass like a mofo style of it :) LOL:ha: :ha:

9. Fry

kinda, sorta, not really.

the colts won with defense and their running game in the playoffs last year up to the super bowl.

the steelers are a ball control offense.

the pats were a screen and draw team that would drive down the field slowly and play defense up until this year(remember corey dillon and his 4.8 40 speed?)

tampa bay and jon gruden have always tried to run the ball, they just never had the back to do it....until michael pittman had a career game in the super bowl. the bucs relied heavily on their defense to keep them in games, especially early in the season.

then there's the ravens....we all know how that went.

and those are just the super bowl winners.

then there are the losers; the bears(jones and benson), panthers(stephen davis and deshaun foster), titans(george) and giants(barber and dayne)

it's not whether the ball control offense still works in the nfl, which it does, it's a matter of our execution. we don't execute in the redzone and settle for FGs.

there are a lot of reasons why our offense was bad this year; a below average qb, a below average WR and TE corps and a group of runningbacks that don't have the ability to get big yards on a given play, and most of all turnovers.

10. Fry

then jacksonville isn't a ball control team?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar