Bad Decision number 1003902938

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Pretty obvious because it was scrap players, that constantly changed teams. If they used it as an actual farm league, like 1 team per division, it would've done better.

Germany heavily supported professional football. The London games have been such a success they are talking of moving the Superbowl there!

I'd think either place could support 8 games a year.

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

International play can suck it!

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

...I'd rather it be in Nashville.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I agree that scrap players won't put bums in chairs but I have to wonder if the NFL games are sell outs in London because it is rare/once in a blue moon type thing.

Could they keep it up for a regular season worth of games?
    I don't blame the NFL for wanting to expand. A world NFL would be pretty cool but games won't happen weekly I don't think.

5. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

The NFL's international expansion idea is totally flawed. And being an International git, I should be excited about this prospect.

Taking games internationally should be done to attract new fans, not just to appease existing fans.

American Football is about as complex a sport as there is. Most people fall in love with a team before they fall in love with the game. Going to a game where you are ambivalent about the result and you don't understand the rules is not going to succeed in converting a heap of non-NFL followers. If they plan on taking a game a season to London, then they need to find a team that is willing to "adopt" London and take the same team their 5 years in a row. At least that way, people can form some affinity with that team and follow their progress.

I have long maintained that if the NFL is willing to "invest" in overseas markets, they should heavily subsidise the NFL Network being broadcast internationally, and give them rights to broadcast multiple games.

I can speak from experience and say that being passionate about a team is the biggest factor in me being an NFL fan. If the NFL wants to reach a whole new set of fans, they need to get them passionate about a team and let them learn about the game at their pace.

6. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Blame Al Davis and Georgia Frontierre for that. As a kid growing up, I went to many Rams games at the Coliseum in the 60's and 70's. 100,000 plus in the stands. It was a spectacle. Once Georgia had her hubby Carroll Rosenbloom killed and moved the team to Anaheim she screwed the pooch...Then Davis moved the Raiders to LA.... it was a split market. Add USC and UCLA to the mix...... How many tickets can people buy? Even then both the Rams and Raiders put 60-70,000 in the seats every game. The LA coliseum is far bigger than LP field.

The problem was that the local governments wouldn't buy into the extortion from Frontierre and Davis. St. Louis and Oakland did. Look where they are now.....Both teams are Jokes!

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

BUT....just imagine if the NFL caught on and in 20 years football was played internationally, tournament style, like soccer currently is. That would be effing awesome

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

There probably wouldn't 30 American teams though.

9. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

True. But both of those teams went to super bowls while in L.A. and they still couldn't keep that city caring about football.

And possibility B (A being Raiders move back now) now would be either the Jags or an expansion team. Talk about bad teams that would not draw a crowd...

It's a city that doesn't support an NFL team long term well; They seem to get an initial rush out of having one and then fade off regardless of how well or bad the team does.

10. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Dude, What planet are you from? Read some NFL history. Learn about Georgia and Al. The Rams spent 50 years selling out the Coliseum every Sunday. 100,000 people. Even the Raiders drew 60-70,000 plus every week.... The Coliseum was made smaller for NFL games so that the Raiders could sell 75k for television. Still bigger than LP field. USC draws 95,000 on Saturdays.

Yes LA will support an team....It just better win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar