backup quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ONUV, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewker

Ewker Starter

If I remember correctly someone (reporter) said said the Titans didn't want to put him on the practice squad. They know how good he is and they are afraid of losing him. They could put him there until another team wants him then move him up to the 53 man squad. But who do you let go then.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Collins is the insurance on an unpredictable Vince Young, so unfortunately he's staying. Once Vince proves he's not a liability, and Collins contract expires, that's the end of Kerry as a Titan. But for now he's not going anywhere, even making $4M too much, he's here to stay.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I'm happy to let him go now. I just don't see us going anywhere with Collins if he has to come in. I'd like to see Rusty Smith get as much playing time as possible. From what I hear, he sounds like he is our QB of the future.

4. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

Simms will be cut; Smith will eventually take over Collins role as backup

5. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

....I don't think you see too many rookies that were actually drafted (especially at 4th round) end up on the practice squad in their first season

I could see them possibly putting Simms on practice squad, but it seems less likely with Rust

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Ewker has a good point. If the Titans really like Smith they might have no choice but to put him on the regular roster. Someone even said the Pats like him. As much as the Titans probably don't want waste a roster spot on a 3rd QB I think they will this year. The idea is for Smith to be the 2nd QB after this year IMO and maybe the #1 if VY fails to show improvement down the road IMO. Smith will certainly get plenty of reps in the pre-season games and if he shines it will be hard to hide him.

Even though he was a late draft pick the Titans usually don't draft a QB (even that late) unless there is a purpose to it. They saw significant value in Smith and Dinger really likes him. Unless Smith simply lays an egg in the pre-season I think the Titans will try and keep him for the future.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Rusty Smith is yet to play in any live action. I hate Collins as our backup, but until Rusty shows me some real work, I'll stick with the over priced Collins. As for Simms; he's okay-good. Nothing will come of this guy so why keep him. He'd be my choice to cut if someone must go.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans can't put Simms on the practice squad.

I hate using a third roster spot at QB. You guys may be right in that they have no choice.

9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Did any of you watch Chris Sims play in Denver last year? Yikes, I'll take my chances on Rusty Smith 100% of the time over Sims. If Belicheat has his eyes on Smith we should see that as a ringing endorsement as to his potential... we all know that Belicheat knows how to pick QB's. I'm perfectly fine keeping him on the 53 man roster, if the point is to have Smith learn; he'll do much more learning on the sidelines with the team than he would on the PS.

10. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

ok then i stick with he gets cut and Rusty is 3rd QB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar