Ayers, Cook see playing time trimmed

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Here are a few snap-count tidbits of interest from the Titans’ 19-13 overtime loss to Indianapolis on Sunday:

• Tight end Jared Cook was on the field for only 25 of the Titans’ 59 offensive snaps, while tight end Craig Stevens was on the field for 42 snaps. Stevens is the team’s top blocking tight end, so it’s possible the Titans wanted him to bolster a line that was without Michael Roos and – for most of the game – Leroy Harris. The Titans targeted Cook four times and he caught three passes for 45 yards.
    • Rookie linebacker Zach Brown was on the field for 56 of the Titans’ 76 defensive snaps, while second-year linebacker Akeem Ayers got just 36 snaps. Ayers made the most of his time on the field, with seven tackles (one for loss), a sack, two quarterback hits and a pass defensed. Brown recorded four tackles and a quarterback hit.
    • One week after sitting out the Buffalo game with an ankle injury, middle linebacker Colin McCarthy played 73 of 76 defensive snaps. His 11 tackles were tied for the team lead with Jordan Babineaux, and McCarthy also recorded a pair of tackles for loss – second to Alterraun Verner’s three tackles for loss.
    • Defensive tackle Karl Klug reversed a recent trend by getting more snaps (21) than rookie Mike Martin (19). The previous week in Buffalo, Klug had been on the field for just six plays, compared to Martin’s 29. Surprisingly enough, neither Klug nor Martin showed up on the stat sheet. They combined for zero tackles.
    • Roster newcomers Xavier Adibi and Tracy Wilson saw plenty of special-teams action against Indianapolis. Adibi was on the field for 14 special-teams snaps and Wilson was on the field for nine.
    Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

The Titans targeted Cook four times and he caught three passes for 45 yards.

:shakehead:

What has to happen for this guy to get more looks? He is a match up nightmare and could be a top tight end in the league.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea this is some stupid chit right here. These two should see more snaps, not less.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

And the fourth one goes for 6 if Matt doesn't over throw cook by a mile.

COOK NEEDS THE BALL!!!

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

WTF.. Ayers had an amazing game and Cook is our best receiving target. They both should be getting enhanced roles.

For Ayers, were we in nickle a lot? Perhaps they preferred ZBs speed/coverage and he was the nickle LB w. McCarthy? I can't really remember.

As for Cook, no excuse.

Also, why does Britt never play on 3rd downs....?

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Inaccurate Passer

Inaccurate Passer Starter

If you use your best players too much teams will get tape on them. And then Munchak has to make adjustments, he's too scared to get to that point

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Yeah we are definitely rotating our best players too much. And if I ever see Harper get a carry again from outside the opponents five yard line I'm going to lose it. That dude sucks something awful. Give it to reynaud instead!

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If we can draft some more linebackers next year we need to make Ayers a DE.. He simply does not fill as a linebacker and all 3 linebackers have to fill on running plays in a 4-3!

Move him to DE and let him rotate with Wimbley and Morgan, he can obviously rush the passer and is physically similar to Wimbley.

I would be glad to hear opinions on this because you almost never see Ayers stuffing a run play at the line of scrimmage.

We need linebackers who can fill and turn some of those 5-6 yard runs into 0-1 yard runs. McCarthy does it but Brown and Ayers do not. Ayers gets his tackles out on the perimeter coming up on the side of plays. How often does he fill the whole with his 255 lbs?

9. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Lol weren't you the one that laughed at me for saying I wanted Reynaud to get some carries instead of Harper? Or was it the other CJ apologist, Kaeotik?

10. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

No it wasn't me. I'm a supporter for reynaud

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar