Ax Godell

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Nov 14, 2009.

?
  1. No

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Yes, in favor of more liberal

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. Yes, in favor of more conservative (yikes!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I dont care

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i am sorry, i hate this guy. a lot of very stern rules were adopted by the league when this guy came in. players are getting fined left and right for seemingly everything. i miss paul...he felt more old school. i remember when he retired i was like yeah no big, some guy will come in and keep it going as usual. but i have to say if paul were here i honestly dont think all these 'boring' and 'wussy' rules would have been endorsed.

i want a more open-minded comish running the league, this guy pisses me off.

if paul was running or of the sort do ya think it would have been better?

that year where smith and ocho were going at it w/ celebrations, that was when rodger was comish?? or paul?? ...i dont know people couldn't wait to see these guys score and see what they had in mind.

TD celebrations should be whatever you want. (ie Moss' flashing of the GB pack would draw a fine/penalty that could be a line; ocho killed me with the one dollar thing)

2. Titans Reign

Titans Reign Camp Fodder

"Paul" as you affectionately call him single-handedly led the league to the precipice of labor unrest which we will most likely see shortly. He stagnated the League's growth and was unwilling to expand the NFL brand on an international level. He turned his back on former players and bullied the weakest union in all of professional sports on a consistent basis, often talking with blatant condescention when and if he chose to engage the NFLPA in football related decisions. He was a lawyer with no apparent agenda for growing the most profitable sports league in the world.

Sorry, titan fan, I don't miss him.

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I don't know enough about the two to say, but I'm HATING the idea of lifting the cap, and I'm HATING the celebration penalties and player pampering.

I had looked forward to Goodell polishing the shield a bit, but am disappointed that he showed an inability to deal with all players evenly when the Vick thing broke... suddenly the rules were bendable when the 'face of the NFL' was involved. This much later we see that Vick was irrelevant, just as all other players are.

4. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

Don't know which one it was but whomever helped originally sign away exclusive NFL rights to one game developer should be beat senseless with a wooden board.

5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I could give a rat's arse about NFL big wigs lining more money in their pockets. I care about the sport, and so did Tagliabue. For me, there's something unsettling about our teams playing over seas. I don't want the Titans to play the London Silly Nannies. Let them keep their futball.

In Goodell's eyes, there's only one side of the ball that matters. That's why we're seeing all these one-sided blowouts. When you are continuously fining players for clean hits or constantly standing idly by while the game is being turned into flag football, you are hurting the integrity of the game. When you are suspending this player because he plays for this team, and letting another player slide for the same or similar offense because he plays for that team, you are hurting the integrity of the game. Goodell may be doing wonders for the NFL's profit margins, but he is killing professional football.

Good thread Titan Fan, and I've always thought of Tagliabue as old school as well. Taglibue had balls. He didn't care to stand up against the NFLPA, and he got things done. Chances are, if he were still commissioner, there would have been a new CBA by now.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. spiridion

spiridion Rookie

Until a few years ago, I was only a casual observer of the game. However, I do recall when I first became aware of the comissioner of the NFL: Jim McMahon (yeah, the '85 Bears) getting fined for his non- NFL sponsor adidas headband while he was in uniform- then getting fined AGAIN for being a smartypants and wearing a plain headband with "Rozelle" written on it. (I think my high school self fell in love- there's just something about a smartazz :grrhee:)

I don't think comissioners are allowed to have much of a sense of humor- but I really really dislike Godell. I think he fancies himself a tough guy, but he just seems like a jerk most of the time. Some little man who lucked into some power.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I like that Goodell is a stern commisioner. The integrity of the game is cheapened when me-guys try to promote themselves with these stupid celebrations. A lot of fines have been iffy but he is consistent and I like that.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

"Consistent"??

9. Titans Reign

Titans Reign Camp Fodder

I could give a rat's arse about NFL big wigs lining more money in their pockets. I care about the sport, and so did Tagliabue. For me, there's something unsettling about our teams playing over seas. I don't want the Titans to play the London Silly Nannies. Let them keep their futball.

Interesting perspective. I care about the sport too. The fundamental difference between us being, I understand the big picture.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Your idea of the "big picture" doesn't include preserving the integrity of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar