Attorney: Court date for Kenny Britt may not be imminent

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CBS Sports, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBS Sports

CBS Sports Titans News

It could be several weeks before Kenny Britt appears in court to answer charges from an early morning arrest last Friday, an attorney for the wide receiver said Monday. Britt, 23, was charged with suspicion of DUI and implied consent after he attempted to enter a gate at Fort Campbell (Ky.) at approximately 3:30 a.m. on July 20. Britt was administered a field sobriety test and later refused a Breathalyzer test, The Tennessean reported.

Since the incident took place on federal property on a United States' Army installation the process could be more complicated than usual. Jonathan P. Farmer, a Nashville attorney who represents Britt, said it could be some time before his client is assigned a court date to appear at U.S. District Court at Fort Campbell. Once the government completes its investigation, a Federal Magistrate will be assigned to the case. The case will be sent to the Central Violations Bureau, a national center that processes violations of offenses committed on federal property. Britt will then receive a notice of when he's scheduled to appear before the magistrate. A court representative declined comment on Monday.

Since entering the NFL three seasons ago, Britt has been plagued by a spate of legal trouble. The Titans' first round pick in 2009 was arrested several times in 2011 during the lockout. In January, Britt plead guilty in Hoboken Municipal Court to a charge of disturbing the peace, stemming from an incident at a New Jersey car wash the previous June. Britt was fined $1,500 and ordered to complete 40 hours of community service. Three other charges were dismissed as part of the plea agreement. Last August, Britt avoided suspension from the league after meeting with Commissioner Roger Goodell in New York. The commissioner warned the receiver that further incidents could lead to appropriate discipline, the Associated Press reported. Britt said afterward that he hoped to never hear from the commissioner again in regards to a disciplinary matter. Britt's case will be reviewed under league policies, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wrote in an email on Monday. Two other first round picks -- Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch and Rams defensive end Robert Quinn -- have been arrested for suspicion of DUI this month.

Britt appeared on the verge of breaking out in 2011 before suffering a season-ending right knee injury in Week 3 vs. the Broncos. After two weeks, the former Rutgers wideout led the AFC with 271 yards and three TDs. Britt has since undergone three knee procedures, including arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, The Tennessean reported. Even if Britt avoids suspension, it's uncertain that he will return for a Week 1 meeting against the defending AFC Champion New England Patriots.

Titans coach Mike Munchak could not be reached for comment. Wide receiver Kendall Wright, the Titans' first-round pick, remained unsigned on Monday -- five days before the start of Titans' training camp. [​IMG]

Source: CBS Sports

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This kid just doesn't get it. Kenny Britt needs an old fashioned spanking. Munchak needs to whoop his azz like it's 1994.

And just our luck this was on federal soil, thanks Kenny.

But we like how you play football so we'll put up with it.

3. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

Maybe he did it to buy himself more recovery time lol.
    I thought he had grown up but I guess he still has a lot of growing up to do.
    It will be interesting to see how Munchak handles this.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

This will most likely be the FIRST time Goodell waits until the court ruling to hand down a suspension.

5. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

I agree Riverman. I think KB does need to grow up but there are a few things that sticks out to me. They are:

- He was arrested for suspicion of DUI. Not arrested for DUI.
    - It seems as it was MP who arrested him not (could be wrong here) so the process may be different (definitely longer)
    - Passed a sobriety field test but refused the breath test

I'm not saying I condone or support his actions, but I really do think this may be a scenario where both the league and the team wait and see first. In regards to bringing in other WRs, the team have to make sure they are prepared in the event things don't go our way. I don't think this is a clear cut case like his other issues.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

He had me fooled, I thought Kenny had changed his childish ways. He is young though, only 23. I hope he grows up and stops d*cking around.

7. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Not gonna happen. Age don't fix stupid. Gettin a DUI as a millionaire. Dumb. Getting a DUI by pulling up to a gate manned by Military Police? Wow. That's just DUMB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar