At a loss and need some clarity

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by HeadOnASwivel, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I would like anyone to give me one reason Jerry Gray is gainfully employed as your defensive coordinator? I've been racking my brain and I literally cannot figure out why he has not been fired long ago. The fact that our defense was historically bad last season was not an apparition, it falls directly on Gray who has no clue how to call a defense; he showed that again last night. There were two plays in particular which illustrate my point...

First play the Bengals have 3rd and 5, it was the Pollard miss tackle where Tate just ran by him. They needed 5 friggin' yards and we back or corners off, and I see Zack Brown drop 20 yards off the line of scrimmage, almost like a deep Tampa 2 look. Again, they need 5 yards not 15 for the first down. The Bengals run some simple crossing routes at 5 yards and easily get the first down. Even if Pollard makes the tackle they still end up getting a first down.

The second play was later on the drive I believe. The Bengals have the ball on the 12 yard line, I think it was 1st down. For some reason our corners play 7-8 yards off the LoS!!! It's like Gray was worried about getting beat over the top, but why? It's a short field with the ball on the 12, why are they playing off? They run a simple stop route for about 6 yards, they gain half the distance to the goal line with no effort at all.

It's clear that Gray has no idea about down and distance, these are mistakes I'd expect to see a rookie High School defensive coordinator make, not an NFL coordinator.

This defense, pre-season or not, looks exactly like it did last season... obviously that doesn't bode well.

I truly believe that either Gray has some negative information on the Titans, that he's using to keep from being fired. Almost a blackmail type of scenario where if he talks it's going to embarrass the organization. Either that or, we are trying to lose to be able to draft Clowney.

I know what you're thinking, Headonaswivel has finally lost it, hell most of you think I lost it long ago, LOL. Seriously though, these are the only two possibilities that I can some up with, and I'm not some sort of conspiracy theorist. I'm just at a loss, I can't figure out why he hasn't been fired.

I just need a valid reason, taking into account all available evidence; last years defense and the just bone-headed defenses we constantly run, why Gray still has a job? No competent organization would have a guy like this on their staff, none.

Listen to the interviews of our defensive players, to a person they all seemed perplexed about what went wrong. Let me clear it up for you fellas... your coordinator is the worst in the NFL history and, what's worse, he has a job.

If Williams does not take over quickly we are a four win team at best.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Gregg Williams has a much influence (if not more) than Gray on this defense.

3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Last night was just mistakes mistakes mistakes.

I didn't notice the defense was doing bad as a whole. I noticed certain players were tho. The calls being made didn't bug me, the looks didn't either, cuz I figure it'll change up some in the regular season.

That defense SORELY missed verner. I like Campbell and I've been rooting for the dude, but all I saw was me wishing verner was in instead of Campbell. Verne's knack for the ball and big plays was a huge loss for us considering Campbell is till lost on the field getting burns on deep cut back routes. He's got speed, but he doesn't have the mental aspect when to put on the breaks.

D line looked good. Hill and Casey both seemed to be getting good pressure on pass plays. Run plays still questionable. That means instead of playing balance defense in the regular season, we will need our defense to sell out on run plays to make sure stops at the moment. Blitzes were timely and effective. Thank Williams.

Locker looked good. Composed, good run game around him and putting the ball in tight spaces that were still very acceptable. Dude seems to be getting it. Lets hope he doesn't take a step back.

Drops killed us. Too many almost completions and should have bens to win any game. We have to play mistake free football to win in this league. Nows the time for the coaches to ride the players harder for the mistakes.

Pollard missed tackles that shoulda definitely happened. He did this last week as well. Lets hope he turns it on before we're ultimately saddled with Bernice and Wiffin in the back.... Omgz plz no.

And I don't really care to bother with who won and who lost and such. We missed field goals. Badly, and the games first half woulda been a lot closer. We also still need to find the end zone.

Highs - Locker, Run game.
    Lows - field goals, drops, tackling.

4. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Sure didn't seem like it. It looked identical to the utter trash we saw all of last year.

5. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

lol Preseason.

6. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I hear what you're saying and I totally agree but you glossed over the the two examples I gave of Gray's utter incompetence.

7. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

LOL, preseason identical to last season, LOL.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I'm not saying there weren't issues. I just don't take them very seriously right now. I think it gets changed. I may be wrong.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You think Gray/Williams is going to show much?

The preseason is about beating the guy in front of you. What I saw was a lot like what I saw last year and the Titans DL gets pushed off the ball too often.

10. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Really, who is calling the plays? Pretty obvious to me that the guy calling the plays has the most influence. Oh wait, Gray calls the plays, stoopid me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar