Asante Samuel

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Two Kings, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

lol. could have sworn we ran Man coverage with Schwartz and Cecil my mistake.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

We should have got him years ago, now no thanks.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

The Pats only gave a 4th for Samuel. I can't imagine his value went up since then.

I'd give a 4th/5th, but no more. But like many, I'm sure, I'd rather draft someone, cut Mouton, and let the rest compete.

4. J Falk

J Falk Starter

I'd love to get Asante. Peyton Manning doesn't hate the guy more than any corner in the league for no reason! Let's trade a 5th and next years 4th for him and a 6th. That's fair.

5. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Won't matter who u have covering without linemen to rush the passer.

If we don't sign anymore linemen, expect 2 of the first 4 on linemen. When you handicap yourself in the draft with a single area of need, the results are generally lacking. You need to be able to draft the 'best player available' throughout the process to increase the chances of landing a future 'star.'

I would be very interested in parting with a second for a prime 30 year old (preferably a bit younger) linemen though - any buzz on this?

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd offer a pair of 3rds. I'm sure somebody would trump that offer though.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Here's the pros and cons of Asante Samuel.

Pros
    Samuel is very good in both man and zone but better in zone because he likes to read the qb and gamble...and he tends to get a lot of int's because of it!
    Samuel gave up only 47.5% completion percentage last year - 8th best in the league and better than Carr who Dallas just signed to huge money.
    He only gave up 29 receptions last year.
    Most impressively, qb rating for qb's throwing against him was a meager 52.4. Only Revis had a better rating.
    Bottom line, he is one of the top corners against the pass right now and he has a great knack for getting interceptions...which are what you look for first in a league predicated on passing the ball.

Cons
    Samuel is one of the worst tackling corners in the league. In fact, the eagles trio were the worst tackling trio while the titans had the best tackling trio.
    Samuel is 31 so he's already at his peak. How long before he declines and he's gonna want to maximize his dollars.
    His contract calls for him to make about 8+mil.
    Bottom line is, he's expensive and totally worth in pass defense, but his run support is a real liability and considering the number of times the titans cb's were asked to make tackles, it could be a problem.

Overall, I'd be willing to give as much as a 5th rnd pick for him and rework his deal a bit to bring him here. If you believe as current NFL coaches do that a nickel cb is a starter, it's important to keep 3 good cb's and right now I only have faith in mccourty and verner. More importantly, in the playoffs we will face elite passing teams and Samuel would be our best weapon in slowing them down from the secondary side. If he's willing to restructure/rework his deal to save us some cap and give him a chance to be here for a few years at best, it's well worth the investment IMO. I'd take the cap money saved and look at bringing in a Kip en/gurode to further enhance the ol or save it for the post draft wave of free agency when vets will get cut.

Thoughts?

Gut

8. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Not only can I not see anyone trumping that, I don't think anyone would even offer a 3rd, and I certainly wouldn't want us too.

A 4th at best

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I would definitely do a 4th.

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Where do you get these stats from? Just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar