Asante Samuel

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Two Kings, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Let me see if I understand your point. You think the cb who was 2nd in the whole league in qb rating against was only slightly above average?

And, you think a 3rd cb has more upside?

Let me give you my spin. A 3 rnd cb is likely to be a nickel back for us with starting potential. There is almost no chance he could play at Samuels level this year and likely never will. The list of third rnd picks floating in the thread should show you we are less likely to even get a solid starter much less a pro bowl cb.

Pay for a Samuel and get top 5 talent for a couple of years or draft a cb and hope we can develop him into a solid player. Problem is, top defenses need playmakers, not solid players. Samuel is a playmaker!

Gut

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'd think we'd consider his overall play instead of just one stat in evaluating what kind of season he had. Yes, you compare last season with most of his career, he's showing a decline and isn't close to being the same player he was just a few seasons ago.

Three INTs. 34 tackles. Those are not playmaker numbers.

Is he still good? Sure. But he's no longer a top 10 CB though he's still being paid as one. There's a reason the Eagles are shopping him.

He'd be great to have but a luxury the Titans can't afford over more pressing needs. McCourty and Verner continue to improve which is why Finnegan wasn't a priority to re-sign.

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

Rather draft Casey Hayward with our 3rd round pick and get a playmaker for many years. Just saying.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I have to disagree that he's a luxury and I don't think that he's declined at all.

He missed a lot of time in 2010 due to a knee injury and returned before fully fit. In 2011 he was out of favor and although had 16 starts he saw a lot les playing time.

His biggest knock is that he whiffs on tackles and tries too hard to make big plays. He's still the best option available though and a true shutdown corner.

I think that the Eagles are as dysfunctional a team as the Jets and was a bad place for him from day one. Samuel more than fills the void if Verner moves to nickle.

Right now our secondary is missing a starter and we're just as pathetic at DT as we were last season. Wimbley will make little difference if we don't get help in the middle.

I swear if Amano starts at Center this season I'll know that I've had a schizoid embolism followed by a free-form delusion. Crap like that can't be real.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Overall, he's not a top flight cb because his tackling is so bad. But we didn't exactly shut down opposing pass offenses with the top 3 tackling CB's last season. And frankly, you can't go by tackles because different schemes require CB's to be or not to be major run supporters.

However, Samuel is one of the best CB's in defending the pass which is why he was targeted like 67 times and only allowed 29 receptions. Mccourty was targeted over 100 times and gave up over 70 receptions. Mccourty having a million tackles doesn't improve his pass defense. If our other players are good tacklers and we swarm to the ball, his tackling won't be a huge problem but his pass defense could really improve us.

Consider this as well, with solid players we have not done a great job shutting down elite passing attacks and that is what we will face more and more in the playoffs.

Additionally, you need a nickel cb who is a good run defender/tackler or teams will come out in. 3 wr formations and run at Asante. If you remember back, we actually played lance shulters there because he was a good fun defender and other teams had found that a weakness in our d.

I won't pretend Samuel is as good as he was previously, but he's still playing at a very high level, plays the pass better than anyone on our team, would give us another ballhawks in the secondary, would only cost us a third if his play justified it, and if willing to take a pay cut! What's the downside....he's not a good tackler and might only be here for 2-3 years? The guy we're missing out on in nd 3 has a bigger chance at not working out much less playing at an elite level - ever.

If your goal is to win the Super Bowl in the next 3 years, Samuel is worth this investment. If you're on a 5 year plan, hope he gets released.

Greg

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

Because getting big name free agent corner backs will put our team over the top right? Maybe we should ask the Eagles how it when for them....

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Would have preferred Finnegan over Samuel.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I'll take Samuel who can actually improve the defense than a 3rd round pick who might get some playing time.

• High Five High Five x 3
  9. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

Bruno Mars is garbage bro

10. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

Really? Jay Z??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar