As a Colts fan, the "Fire Fisher" talk puzzles me.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Luv_PonyExpress, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Jeff Fisher - Cecil, Collins, Young + Colt McCoy = Superbowl.

2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Pony express,

I guaran-dam-tee you that if the Colts were 0-4 right now with NO signs of improving after a stellar season last year followed by a 1 and out in the p/o's, the Colts fans would be calling for Dungy's head too.

No, but it is his fault for making 'Baghdad Bobesque' statements like 'we need to adjust', 'Kerry gives us the best chance of winning', etc.
    0 and 4 Fisher. Just what chance of winning has he provided so far?
    It IS Fisher's fault for not making even the smallest adjustments.
    It took 0-3 and multiple fumbles/muffs by Mouton to get Fisher to make adjustments...AFTER he cut Mark Jones AND f####ing kept Chris Henry.
    If those kinds of things don't make you go W....T....F, then yep, you aren't following this team closely enough.
    I don't want Fisher gone unless he refuses to shift his paradigms (which we all know he won't).
    God, he reminds me of a stubborn old man who refuses to learn how to use a computer because it's too 'complex' for him, even though he knows it would help him find a job.

3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I say we fire Jeff Fisher, then rehire him as a Cornerback. Maybe he can do a better job at covering receivers when he plays 10 yards off the line of scrimmage.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Make that Caldwell. Dungy's a talking head now. Nobody calls for those heads.

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

DOH! I meant back even when Dungy was coaching. My bad for not clarifying that.

But yeah, definitely Caldwell too in his early stages as the team HC.

6. Luv_PonyExpress

Luv_PonyExpress Starter

Well, Tony Dungy isn't our coach anymore. And that's just it.

It would be one thing if it was a rookie HC like Jim Caldwell and things were looking shaky. But I have a hard time imagining any situation where too many Colts fans would've called for Tony Dungy's head. He proved himself an effective coach time and again....he did so in Tampa, too.

But even the best coaches aren't always putting out great -- or even good -- teams. The metric for a coach is how well a team performs relative to all those factors that are outside his control.

We had a very rocky start to last season -- largely because of key injuries (such as Manning's knee). I think we started 1-4. And I don't remember anybody calling for Dungy's job.

We won the last 11 games of the season and nabbed a wildcard game.

The Titans obviously have problems right now. But Jeff Fisher isn't one of them.

7. Luv_PonyExpress

Luv_PonyExpress Starter

Right -- but how can you compare a rookie NFL head coach like Jim Caldwell (whose only previous experience as a head coach was an unsuccessful stint in the college ranks) to veteran coaches like Jeff Fisher and Tony Dungy?

I'm not saying that there's never a situation where a coach isn't up to the task. In fact, it's probably more common than not in the NFL. It's a tough damn league to win in -- and most coaches don't even find their way to the playoffs, let alone a Superbowl.

I'm just saying that, when you know you've got your hands on a good one, you hang onto him. Bill Cowher's a great example. There were a number of times during his career in Pittsburgh where his team wasn't even good, let alone great. But the Steelers stuck with him and it paid off in spades for them.

Any Colts fan who would've been calling for Tony Dungy's head after our 1-4 start last season or at any other point in his tenure here would have, similarly, needed his head examined. Dungy was a proven coach. He proved himself in Tampa. He proved himself in Indy.

Firing him to "try somebody else" would never have been a good decision...unless the owners knew they could get a different proven coach that, for whatever reason, they felt was better suited to what they were trying to do.

Caldwell, though, hasn't yet earned that privilege. So comparing the two is impossible.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I actually like the fist pump. :ha:

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Yeah and his replacement already won a Superbowl in 2 seasons where it took Cowher 14.

There was a poll awhile back that asked if Vince saved Fisher's job. Overwhelmingly the vote was no, he did not. I still disagree. We were off two losing seasons, had two major offseason QB debacles, and Fisher was determined to stick with Collins who was running us into the ground. Only Bud Adams making the call changed the course of that season. Then Vince makes plays with his legs, not great coaching strategy, but amazing run ability which saves the season, or at least brought us to 8-8 with a chance at the playoffs in the final week.

If Adams doesn't make that call, we have another losing season, and Fisher is fired in my opinion.

But forget that, Fisher is a dinosaur that hasn't won a playoff game in years and we've only seen 1 superbowl, which was a loss, and that was over a decade ago.

It would be great if he could go out like Cowher, but how long do we wait?

And as far as it can get worse, I don't see things much worse than sunday's game verse the Jags. I don't remember many, if any, performances as uninspiring as that one. Oh and Jeff said this is the best team he's ever had.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm not yet on the 'fire Fisher bandwagon' either, but am getting close. I don't like how he is stuck in his ways of running a system that is dysfunctional for this current bunch. Chris Johnson is not the Eddie George, Chris Brown, or LenDale White type Fishers offense needs to operate. Which is the only one he knows. He drafted C.J. to adapt to the changes around him, but with Collins playing the role of Tom Brady in high school, his new plan isn't working. I'm sure he's pissed that his tendencies have been exposed, and teams can now dictate what he does, but he's needs to bounce back. They need to pass less and get back to the boring but effective 'Fisher ball'. I like scoring, but would rather win 10-6 every game. Or hell, kill the opposing defense by running, taking up 9 minutes to move into field goal range. Our offense has to consume more time, and that can't be done throwing bombs into the stands. If we can keep our defense from taking the the field we'll be better off also which is why I'm all for taking the ball from Collins and running with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar