As a Colts fan, the "Fire Fisher" talk puzzles me.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Luv_PonyExpress, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luv_PonyExpress

Luv_PonyExpress Starter

I remember a few years ago -- Young's rookie season, I think -- the Titans began the season something like 0-5. You guys will remember it better than me, I'm sure. And there began to be talk (on sports radio and various other places) about firing Jeff Fisher.

"Fire who?" I remember thinking. Surely they can't be talking about Titans coach Jeff Fisher. But they were...and my next thought was always: YES! PLEASE fire him.....and send him up here to Indy to take over for Dungy when he hangs it up.

Of course, the remaining 11 games went very differently for the Titans (including, as I recall, a very painful victory over my Colts). And, wouldn't you know it, people weren't talking about firing Jeff Fisher anymore.

I'm going to tell you all something as an outsider who gets up to play Fisher's Titans twice a year: Jeff Fisher has never been your "problem" (when you've decided you have a problem, that is) and he never will be.

Bill Belichick's three rings may have earned him dibs on the title of "Best Coach in the NFL". But I'd have a hard time naming 4 other coaches to round out the top 5 without Fisher's name being somewhere on there.

Most NFL teams cycle through one HC after another trying to find somebody who can offer a reasonable chance for success. Some of them have been doing that dance for decades. But, in my experience, coaches don't go from being good one day and not-so-good the next.

Bill Parcells, as an example, will never be a bad, or even mediocre, coach (or, now, Front Office guy). But that doesn't mean that every time he fields a team, they're going to go 13-3 and make a run deep in the playoffs. That's not how this football league works.

Some of the Titans "fans" posting here don't know how good they've got it so far as the head coaching position goes. Like any other coach who's been around the league for a while, Fisher's had his share of better teams and lesser teams. That comes with the territory.

But I can tell you this: no team that's ever donned the Titans uniform has been worse off because of who they've had roaming the sidelines all these years. The man's an intense competitor, a brilliant game strategist, a tireless motivator, and somebody who couldn't spell the word "quit" if you spotted him three letters.

Those of you saying he should lose his job should have your heads examined. There are no better coaches you could hire.

• High Five High Five x 4
  2. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

If you want him you can have him. You don't watch him week after week, year after year. Nothing changes with him. And you're seeing the results, not adjusting to personell and coaching staff is the reason we are 0-4, so take him.

• High Five High Five x 4
  3. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

I think the success and consistency is more a direct result of the players the Titans have fielded during his tenure as HC than his coaching ability, but think what you want. I've never liked him, or his coaching style/philosophy ever, but what can I do he's the coach of the team I follow closely, whether they win or lose.

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'm going to pose the same question here that I have in other threads.
    16 seasons on the job and only 1 SB appearance (loss)... 2 playoff wins in the past 10 years.... 0 playoff wins in the past 5. What about these numbers screams "top 5 head coach" to you? I'll wait....

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

"Tireless motivator?" Hahahahaha, you are watching the wrong coach buddy. Last big attempt at motivation, jumping out of a plane (and it was last year), and how did that work for motivating the team? It was terrible.

6. Luv_PonyExpress

Luv_PonyExpress Starter

Well, I don't watch him week after week. But I do watch him year after year.

And what I see are teams that, IMO, tend to succeed beyond what their roster suggests they should. That is the mark of a great coach in the NFL. For better or worse, it requires some good fortune to field good football teams. Coaches have a limited amount of control over the hand they're dealt. The best they can do is play the hand they're dealt as well as it can be played.

Is Bill Belichick no longer a coaching genius because Tom Brady had an injury-shortened season last year? Of course not. But the Pats' record reflected the loss of their field general.

I'm telling you: you don't know how good you've got it in terms of a head coach. I can totally appreciate the frustration of opening up 0-4 after a 13-3 season last year. I'm sure that can play a lot of tricks on the psyche.

But it's not Jeff Fisher's fault that Haynesworth is gone, for instance. It's not Jeff Fisher's fault that Vince Young's had the problems he's had.

Be careful what you wish for. There are a lot of teams that have hired (and fired) a lot of coaches that were quite obviously not cut out to win games in the NFL. And they get lost in the wilderness, sometimes for long periods of time, trying to find somebody to take them to the next level.

Fisher is widely respected around the league...and with very good reason.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I remember the final few seasons of Tom Landry. I was a big fan in my youth so thought he could do no wrong. But it got to where I could sit in front of my TV and call the plays the Cowboys were about to run. Obviously, the opposing team could too.

Point being, Landry was still coaching the same way he coached 10-15 years earlier. What was successful then was played out as teams found ways to attack those schemes. He became predictable. His teams eventually lost confidence in his scheme, IMO.

I don't think we're there yet with Fisher but the lack of intensity yesterday was alarming.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

By 'Tireless Motivator" I guess he's referring to that gay upward fist pump you always see him doing on the sideline after a successful play (even my fiancé thinks he looks like a fruitcake when he does that) :ha:

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I'm not quite on the fire Fisher bandwagon. It comes from 2 camps, though:

1) A lot of people want a pass-wacky, gimmick-running, free-agent worshiping team. Fisher ain't that, thank God.

2) A lot of people like Fisher, but feel like he has 2 weaknesses that will always hold the team back: loyalty and consistency. They also happen to be his strengths, but they cause him to be very slow to make changes to what appear to be declining veterans or flawed game plans.

Add to that the indications that he's lost control of this team and the drums are pounding loudly from both camps. I don't agree with either group, although I do agree that he needs to be quicker to decide that a veteran needs to be replaced (as he finally did replacing Fowler with Tulluch at MLB - a great move). I still like Fisher, but based on what I've seen I do put most of the blame of this 0-4 on his shoulders. Not ready to fire him based on that, but it does have me dipping my foot in camp #2 more than I ever have.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Look. We know Colt's fan's are puzzled. We cannot help you. It's a burden you must carry for the rest of your life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar