Article: Volek blew it

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I think that article was just a writer throwing something out threre and seeing if anyone else runs with it. I am more apt to believe that Billy just doesn't have the starters arm strength, yeah he throws a nice catchable deep ball but that is about it. I saw repeatedly in the preseason games his balls getting knocked down on short routes. The D player shouldn't have that kind of time over and over again to make a play. It could have been Volek's not making his decision soon enough also or maybe a little of both but I don't have any confiedence in his abilities to lead this team. More importantly I don't think the rest of the team does either.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think Chow will try to fit a round block into a square peg. Right now, Young should be trying to learn Chow's current offense just for the sake of making quicker decisions, getting the ball out quickly, etc.

At the same time, Chow is seeing the skills Young has and has to find ways to take advantage of them. He'd be insane not to. Eventually, the Chow offense will take on a different look along with Young adapting to it. It'll be interesting to see how much both change between now and the '07 season.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Dang...I just blew a synapse...

4. TitanJeff

:lol: You get the idea if you haven't had your coffee yet this morning.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Clayton said?

He said it is "looking more and more that collins will be the starter". He didn't say for sure and jeff fisher has not said for sure.

I'll be blunt; if kerry collins starts at QB the first few games, stinks it up and we lose almost all those games jeff fisher needs to be fired! Fired!

Isn't it ironic that billy volek's preseason passing rating was similar to his career rating....87.5 And that collin's short work against ther packers mirrors his career passing rating...77.7. How ironic.

Since when is going 25-39 for 320 yards with one int and one TD stinking up the place? Those are volek's numbers this preseason as i said a rating of 87.5. And 75% of his play was without both givens and brandon jones on the field. He gets brandon jones for one play and dials up a TD. We also didn't run the ball very well in those first three games. I suppose that is billy's fault. :sad2:

To borrow clayton's lame line it's looking more and more like jeff fisher has his finger up you know where and if collins starts sunday that will prove it. Fisher can be loyal to a mentally retarded defensive coordinator but he has no loyalty for a guy who is in his 7th year with this team? Kerry collins the great lame hope. Looked like a dead tree back there for crying out loud!

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff...

25-39 for 320 yards one TD and one int is a rd block in a square hole? What is kerry collins then? Can we deal at all with fact or does it always have to be theory and generalities?

If jeff fisher starts this johnny come lately life long average QB then he should be fired! Fired!

7. TitanJeff

My peg/hole comment was pointing to Chow adapting the offense to Young's strengths in the future. Are you talking about Young or Volek?

The fact is Volek's one TD and a big chunk of that yardage was ONE PLAY against a bad second team defense after only four days rest in a preseason game that meant squat. If you think that means something, that's your deal. But I don't and I sure as heck don't think Fisher does either.

Fisher's job is on the line. If he goes with Collins instead of Volek, then you can bet there are other factors which pushed him to the decision. If he makes a poor decision, either by keeping Volek, or going with Collins or Young, he'll be gone if the Titans put together another 4-12 season.

I don't believe the SI article in that Volek doesn't work hard. But even with my untrained eye I witnessed some poor reads in the Falcons game by Volek. Fisher and Chow both had the OTAs, training camp and three preseason games to evalute Volek. I bet there is a lot more to bringing in Collins than we'll ever know.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I guess that "one TD and a big chunk of that yardage was ONE PLAY" helps make up for the dropped balls. Volek's pass to Bennett comes to mind and I think that was against the starters.

I VY had thrown that TD pass to Jones fans would be wetting their pants talking about how VY needs to start and how he is ready. Maybe Volek just needed a guy like Jones to be healthy? The WR play sure came up a notch with Jones in there.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Soxcat...

Good point. The bottom line is that when you throw that many passes and for volek it is about a games worth good things will happen and bad. Dropped balls and exceptional plays. Volek was accurate enough to complete 63%(24-38) of his passes even before that pass to jones and it was a perfect pass. Collins completed 53.5% of his passes.

What you don't understand soxcat is that collins will help the running game. Collins is big(remember the eddie is big thread?) and can block better than volek and for that reason should be starting. It makes no sense but there has to be some reason to justify collin's starting so let's make that it. What else is there?

10. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Vince is on taget to be the starter after the bye week. This is a mad conspiracy to put someone on the field now who is sure to stink it up. The fans will go nuts demanding that Vince Young come to their rescue.

This is the real reason:

Exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar