Article: Volek blew it

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

In Preseason. How about we take a look at his play when the stats actually count or the game means anything? He has allot more numbers at a start/backup in previous season then he does in a handful of worthless preseason games in 2006.

2. Toly

Toly Free your mind

Again, you are not making any sense. Volek has put up decent numbers in most of his starts and that's all he can do. Defense issues are not related to Volek... he doesn't play defense after all. You are saying that Volek sucks and blaming him for the team overall result, and yet refuse to give any credit to his individual stats.

As for the win column, yes you are mistaken. The Titans have won at least three games (that I remember) when Volek started.

I'd say that his PCT is impressive considering the amount of times he likes to go deep, but that certainly not the point. I'm not trying to compare his PCT to Hall of Fame players. The point is that you say he sucks more than Collins without giving any valid reason, and with Volek having a better PCT and rating than Collins.

I believe that was the '03 season, and he had a start against Buffalo late in that season which ended in an important win to secure a playoff spot.

I brought up the PCT and rating because according to you Volek sucks more than Collins, that's all. I wasn't trying to imply that his PCT makes him an elite QB. Overall, excluding the '03, Volek has started on weak teams playing meaningless games the last couple of seasons. What did McNair do to help this team win in that same period of time?

I don't believe Volek stats to be meaningless in this situation, since you mentioned that he has failed every single time he has started. Stats prove otherwise.

3. I don't really know what else I can say on this topic, so I intend to make this my last post on Collins vs. Volek (at least before game 1).

No one has claimed that Collins is a great QB, simply that he is a better fit for this team than Volek. The coaches gave up on Volek as a starter and turned to Collins for a reason. He's isn't here to be a long term solution. He's just here to bridge gap between the McNair era to (hopefully) the Vince Young era. He isn't going to make the Titans a great team, but he will be better for them than Volek.

In terms of leadership, Collins may not have a ton of winning seasons under his belt, but does a bad leader take his team to the Super Bowl and to another NFC Championship game? The Titans have tried hard this offseason to bring in good leaders and I fully believe that this is one reason they feel Collins is the better choice than Volek.

And on the field, Collins threw for more yards in 5 of his last 6 individual seasons (since becoming the Giants' starter) than Volek has in his entire career (517 pass attempts). And that other season he would have had he not missed 3 games.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Mr. Analyst, either I've a) gotten very smart in a short period of time b) am experiencing bipolar hypomania due to the lunar calender c) am correct in my past assertions that you do not actually read posts d) making you look like a fool has become incredibly easy or e) all or a combination of any of the above...

First, I'll start with the pro bowler thing... Collins is a probowler. That's just too easy... and let me tell you... I know that you are a older fella and very set in your ways, and there is nothing wrong with that... but people who were 8 years old when 1985 Chicago Bears won the Super Bowl... we listen to what the other poster says because one thing I bring to this forum is a sense of humility and a desire to learn. That's why I read the threads before I go off into free thought 5000 keystoke posts. Bottom line... this quote from the text of the thread is my source on which I base that. In fact I alluded to it being posted. What makes this all the more humiliating for you at this point, maybe not in your mind but in the minds of your peers for the post in question was directed squarely at you. I don't think you are a waste of time and energy Bright Eyes.

[​IMG]

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Oh and the Titans Drafting Vince is a real confidence booster... Billy knows he isn't the future any way. Not to mention, almost all of his starts have came at times when he knew he was the starter going into that week. There have been lots of QB's that have earned starting spots by coming off the bench and playing well. They didn't need to be told is was their team.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

Bipolar's EXTRA point bama boy...

Charlie Batch played a good game last night. He wasn't a bench warmer as you called him... He STARTED. Do you even watch football? :duckrun:

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

And he plainly doesn't really believe in the arguments he eggs on, he just sees some people make a statement, and he automatically takes the opposite side just to stir up a big ruck. Sad that someone gets their perverse joy by doing that.
    Lies, half-truths, mudslinging, name calling, word twisting, negative assumptions all for his sick self pleasure in causing strife among fans of the same team. Sad indeed. :rolleyes:

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

feeling a little conflicted? :wink2:

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I can't wait for one of these threads to start after the game:

1.) Why Collins won us the game
    2.) Why Collins cost us the game
    3.) Why Collins sucks
    4.) Why we would have won if Volek was the QB

of course I am assuming Collins will start, if not replace Collins with Volek in the first 3 then replace Volek with Collins in the last one

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

No, my point is that Fisher hasn't suddenly lost his mind; regarding veterans it's been missing for quite a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar