Article from ESPN on our Offseason

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by theprizdfighter, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sledge

Sledge Guest

What play-makers did we lose??? Henry? Maybe, but he was crap before our OL switch... Which tells me any decent RB can have success behind our OL. Bennett? Not a play-maker by a long shot. Ditto Wade, even less of a play-maker than Bennett. In light of that, and with me thinking Pac will probably be back unless suspended by the league, what play-makers have we lost?

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Let me clarify. We knew what we had with Henry and Wade and both were "upside" players IMO. When we let them walk, we now are back into the "unkown" regarding key playmaking positions (RB and WR). Personally, I haven't seen anything in Lendale that has inspired confidence he can be a play-maker.

BTW, I have no problem with letting Bennett walk- no way should we have matched the Rams offer. He wasn't worth it even when considering the proportional increase in the cap skewed the numbers a bit. However, keeping Henry and Wade WOULD NOT have put us in cap hell or jeopardy and allowed to keep some of the "upside" momentum we had going.

Considering who we have signed so far, MR is looking to preserve cap and only spend on depth (and only "value" players at that). This suggests to me he is approaching next like a year one re-building and limiting play-making acquisitions for later years or the draft.

I am very disappointed (and angry), that it appears the Titans are headed for their 4th consecutive .500 or less season. I think the FANS, especially those who pay alot of money, deserve better. I don't mind increasing our cap space reserve PROVIDED we can do so AND CONTINUE TO IMPROVE THE WIN COLUMN. Nothing sucks worse than shelling out a load of money for tix and watching us win 1 or 2 home games. IMO, unless we spend some cap that is where we are headed. That is why I'm unimpressed thus far with MR and motivated to share my opinion on the board.

3. Sledge

Sledge Guest

OK, but I disagree on Wade. Never was he a playmaker and never will he be, IMO. In fact, his hit on Harrison in the NE game may have turned the tide in their favor and totally gave them momentum. Goodbye Bobby, thanks for nothing. I'd rather have Roby (or Curtis) in that spot... Again, just my O :)

4. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Bennett-

A guy who has consistently dropped balls for this organization including several last season. You take out the 2004 season and you have a guy who has never caught 60 balls and has never received for more then 750 yards. Those are not good numbers. There are several teams with the #2 WR getting better numbers then that. The guy was not a huge loss no matter how you spin it. He can be replaced and will be. At the beginning of last season people were questioning weather he gives up on balls. Specifically, a ball that Collins threw that was just out of reach. No heart no need to stay IMO.

Wade-

Please! The guy would not be a #3 on most teams now we act like we lost Jerry Rice or something. The guy has bounced back and forth like a pinball between Chicago and Tenn. This will be another year of disappointment for him and who knows we might get him after next season. A guy with 33 reception and less then 500 yards is not a huge loss. Again he is Bobby f*ing Wade! If we want his white clone Stokley is waiting for a call. :rolleyes:

Anyway you want to look at it a receiver core of Bennett, Jones, Wade is not a team in contention. No one in that group has shown that in the heat they will step up and take over a game or even really be there to help Young out.

Henry -

Henry is the only person I could see an argument for but then again last season people were ready to burn this guy at the stake for the drug suspension. He has had two sub par seasons followed by a good season that did not start until Young was in and the O-line revamped itself. Was this Henry or was this the system? The 661 yards and 0 TDS in the prior two years would suggest that is was more the system then Henry.

Lookup in the sky. See how the sky is still in the same place it was yesterday? It is not falling.

If we have not made moves by draft time or during the draft, that is the time to start getting nervous.

5. Riverman

Re-read some of the above posts (or read them if haven't already). I'm not sure what points other than Wade you are debating.

6. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

while i just about agree with what you said... you seem to ignore the problem... we have not replaced the underproducing players with equally bad players.

this means that when we release players that dont produce much... and replace them with backup players who produce less... we have a less talented team.

its not that these guys ever impressed me much... but the backups have about one play between them that ever impressed me. why is everyone so high on BJONES? what has he done ever? a nice 50 yard TD last preseason?

i dont care that we lost any of those guys... i did like wade a bit... but the problem is we will bring in rookies to replace vets - thus slowing the growing process of this team. the new management is thinking long-term when we've been doing that for 4 years now.

now... if BJONES has a 1000 yard season... fisher should be fired for not playing him. but in all reality he'll probably just hurt himself again and miss most of the year.

7. Riverman

:yes: :yes:

8. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Well you say:

That bolded part especially. Projects need to pan out because we lost Bennett and Wade? They were main-stays that were going to propel us? How have we stepped back by getting rid of players that would not really help us to achieve the goal we are looking for? Or maybe we should throw money at over rated guys like Stallworth? We are at the ground zero but we have our QB of the future, our O-line is young and playing well, and we have solid young players sprinkled with vets on our D. How is that a step back?

You make no sense then back pedal later:

So now only Wade and Henry were key losses, Bennett can "walk".

Again Wade is not a huge loss and that caliber of player is available in FA if we want to bring them in. We already knew what Wade can do he has been on this team before and never really stepped up. We knew he was not going to be the answer so we let him go. No need to hold dead weight IMO. I would prefer someone fresh someone new that maybe clicks with Young then going with the same old same old that we know is not the answer.

IMO the only real grip here is the loss of Henry and as I mentioned in my post he has only had one solid season in the last three.

To say we have made a huge step back is not looking at the situation very carefully.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

BJones between being banged up has been VERY impressive. Instead of looking at a stat sheet on nfl.com, check out a titans game here and there. You might be surprised.

10. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

Alright, someone else does realize that :monkey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar