Article critical of Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

I know I will be jumped on for comparing College to the NFL, but I want to remind some posters that Vince lead the NCAA in passing efficiency his Junior Season, after he struggled early in his college career, and threw for more than 3,500 yards, he was also the #1 QB in the Nation coming out of Highschool. Saying that, its not like he was some sort of side-show act that ran for 200 yards a game up into this point of his career.

Looking at his abilities I think Dinger has already started to address one of the issues with Vince's passing.... "Foot work". If he makes strides with his footwork, you will see strides in his accuracy. The second is something that comes with time, it appears his decisions are a bit slow at times, as he gets more comfortable in the passing game and with his receivers I believe you will see great progress.

Vince is better than alot of folks give him credit for, and people find ways to point out the negatives, but I saw some positives in his play thus far.

Don't count him out yet... he is a proven overcomer, and I think the present struggles, will only make for a better Franchise QB.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

QB statistics after two years...

John Elway....337-639, 4261 yds, 25 TD, 29 INT, 67.9 passer rating
    Steve Young...267-507, 3217 yds, 11 TD, 21 INT, 63.1 passer rating
    Brett Favre*...620-995, 6530 yds, 37 TD, 39 INT, 77.4 rating

*-since he threw only four passes as rookie, I've included Favre's first three years

Boy, those guys had HOF written all over them, didn't they?

Vince Young...422-739, 4745 yds, 21 TD, 30 INT, 69.0 rating​

At this point in his career, VY is slightly behind where Favre was at a similar stage, but is slightly ahead of John Elway and Steve Young.

In a direct comparison of all QB's drafted in 2006, only Jay Cutler has a higher passer rating than Vince Young. Vince has more combined TD's than any other player drafted in the past two years, regardless of position.

Forgive me if I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

3. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Jwill,
    Can you name 3 starting qb's in the nfl now who had significantly better first two years of their career. I know roethlisberger did (but also had a terrible 3rd year). Peyton manning also had a better first two years. Other than those two who else had much better numbers than vince?

4. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Nine,

Bravo!!!

Jwill,

Racist retort?

5. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

VY will succeed

patience is not a virtue that many Americans are willing to adhere to

let us take a lesson from the late, great Leeroy Bro ..err John Quincy Adams

"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."

give it time

and Tuckfro42 - i'm just dying to know where Carpet Capital (sexual innuendo or this place http://www.carpetcapitol.com/ )

6. Tuckfro42

Yossarian,

No sexual innuendoes here. Dalton, GA = "Carpet Capital of the World"

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Something to really be proud of there.

8. Tuckfro42

Yes it is.

Thanks Gunny.

9. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

ahh makes sense

you can never tell sometimes

people are getting way too good at turning EVERYTHING into a sexual innuendo

good to have you here at gotitans

10. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Very good point. I'll bet right now that VY will have a passer rating over 80 this year. I think Dinger and Crumpler will give him the support we've lacked for him. And Cutler has way better WRs than VY does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar