Article critical of Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I know we've beaten it to death but I can't help but think if these roles had been reversed, the tone of this article would be much different.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10756329/rss

Prisco doesn't mention the decision to return to college was before the OC change.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

this comment essentially sums up the idiotic nature of the article

"matt is off getting drunk and having a 20-man orgy in the woods and vince is worry about his life after football and vince is doing the wrong thing??/...grow a brain prisco..."

Pacman was at all the OTAs as well and look where he is.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Gunny- there is a valid counter-point. Vince is employed by the Titans and expected to deliver on what they have invested him. He should be at the Titans facility for EVERY OTA learning the system and showing dedication to improving the offense's poor passing TD and INT ratio. So in terms of team-play and "on the field" evaluation- it is valid.

This subject crosses the line of what is more important- character or performance. Prisco is an idiot because Leinart has no body of work to reference against Vince. I support Vince as our QB- always have. I don't have a problem with Vince's pursuit of HIS degree which is good for him, but it must be recognized it doesn't do much if anything for the TEAM.

The recent comments regarding his itinerary help reduce alot of concern I have had about the situation. Those comments help to persuade that the intangible element of his character will benefit the team in the "long run".

We'll see. But I agree Prisco is an idiot, especially using Leinart as a reference.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Young is a target for flack after the poor season he had.Time will tell soon enough if VY's offseason has been a good one,any comments now are pointless conjecture.

I'm just glad we didn't draft brainfart.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I don't disagree with the assesment as much as who he was compared too. For all we know Leinart is turning up to OTAs hung over.

However last year VY worked with his WRs in Texas (which gets no mention at all) and look how he did. There is a point where it is too much and sometimes you just have to stand back and not let football control your life.

He's working on his footing with Heimerdinger, Fisher has no problem with him going to school and he'll be there for TC. I have no issue with him going to school, he's still going to the OTAs.

#90 Camp Fodder

They aren't mandatory, so he obviosuly isn't "expected" to be there or he would be penalized. It's like your boss saying that you have the day off, but come in if you don't think you can get caught up when you get back.

Plus, according to Fish, he hasn't missed an OTA.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Read my post closer. I didn't he was expected to be there- I said he is expected to deliver on our investment in him. I think we probably are all close to agreeing on the same point anyway.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Exactly. They are optional. So he doesn't have to be there. Period.

Once you take that out of the equation, getting an education is a positive. Not a negative. He's investing his own money and time to benefit the Titans. The education is for him, but it is for the Titans also. If intelligence doesn't help an NFL team, then why do they have an NFL test for it. Communcation, Diversity, Critical Thinking, Mathematics, Physics, Physical Education, Leadership... don't they all play a part?

It reminds me of when Vince Carter went to his graduation, took flack for that, and then showed up for the games and hit the game winning shot and had like 30 points.

It's just stupidness to be critcial of a person trying to better himself.

If you want your player to perform at an optimal level, you had better be willing to give him personal days for the important things in life. I believe Education qualifies. If you can't do that, then you will lose your employee to another employer, and your employee won't want to perform while he is there. It doesn't matter how much you are being paid, there are still only 24 hours in a day, and humans need to be human, otherwise they breakdown. Vince does not owe the Titans his life. He doesn't owe it to them to attend optional workouts.

I don't even see how this can be a problem unless it was a required workout. It is silly.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

First of all, I think it was a MAJOR over-reaction for everyone that complained about Vince going back to college. I just assumed he would handle his NFL business as well as his college duties, which apparently he is doing. I think he deserved more of the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Secondly, I don't see anything wrong with what Leinart is doing. Big deal, he's partying with hot women. Props to him.

Finally, i think Prisco is one of the absolute WORST sports writers. Such a moron.

And I'm just glad Leinart has looked like the bigger bust of a QB, even with more weapons to work with.

10. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar