Are we good enough?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Are we who we think we are?

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Well, we aren't who we thought we were... at least not who Kerry Collins thought we were...

I'd argue that thinking we're winners helps makes us winners. Is that close enough?

3. GoTitans3801

Pitbull,
    I agree that we've got to improve, but I think a significant part of what you're mentioning will be greatly improved naturally with the team we have. We need to make some changes on D. I'm embarrassed constantly by Lamont Thompson. I presume above you meant putting in Lowry or Fuller instead of Lamont, Hope is already starting. Hill hasn't been consistent this year, and we need to figure out who our second corner should be. We need another DE, and to make sure we have a solid for run D. On offense, we're improving naturally, and most of it is coming from Young's development, and the young offense gelling as a whole. The offensive line is MUCH improved, and I think it's pretty set for next year. We need a backup center and guard to learn for the old guys, but I like the line, and they're doing a better job.

As for the rest of the O, and the consistency issue, I blame that almost entirely on the QB transition/development. Collins was thrown into the mix with ten days of practice, I expect NOTHING from that offense. The WRs were shuffled around in the offseason with Billy and Vince, and then get Collins tossed in there. There's a reason there was no chemistry. I blamed our WRs heartily in Vince's first few starts, but they've gotten significantly better in the last run, and I think much of it has to do with consistency at QB and developing timing with him. That takes a while. If Givens can get on the field, I think we'll see him as a significant help. Speaking of consistency, look at the last few games. I'm not looking at Vince's first few starts, because what can you expect when he's thrown in there, especially against defenses like the Cowboys, Skins, and Jags? He makes some bad decisions, the WRs drop some balls, it's going to happen. The thing we've seen consistently is IMPROVEMENT. We couldn't score in the second half of the Ravens game. Two missed FGs in the second half (1 blocked), were times when our offense was moving. Also note, the Ravens now have the best defense in football, passing the Bears, so I'd expect them to step up when they needed to. Philly was fairly consistent, though the late points were ST/DEF, but I thought that was a decent offensive game. Vince wasn't throwing well, but we still moved it and got points. The Giants game, we were moving the ball some in the first half, but two fumbles really hurt your scoring chances. I really thought we were going to score in the third quarter there. Indy game, ten points per half. Two INTs in the end zone. Rookie QB and a tip. It happens. In the Houston game we scored in every quarter.

The real issue here is that I think we look consistent, we're just not a great offensive team, which I think can be traced to the rookie QB. Turnovers happen, we'll obviously work on those, but the point is that we're making the plays when we have to. I'm nervous because we won't always be able to, but last year there was no way you'd have seen our offense come back from more than a 3 point deficit. Overall, the offense doesn't look very different from game to game, which is the real test. With the possible exception of the Jags game, you're not looking at these guys and going "we can't do anything right, what happened to the guys who made plays last week?" We need improvement, but I think we're making it. You see people putting in the extra effort, and making the plays, which is a great sign. I think with a solid offseason of practice and tweaking we'll see great improvement.

We're not playing a cakewalk schedule. Houston is the only team we've played since the bye who's in the bottom ten in the NFL on Defense overall. We've averaged 24 point per game since the bye. We're not there yet, but for the point we're at right now, I'm pumped.

I miss the days of D Mase and Mcnair. I miss Wycheck. Throw it to them, they caught it. They had years of work together to develop. We're going to see this team grow, have patience. It's also worthy of note that Givens has played one game since the Dallas game, and our top 2 TEs are out for the season, and have been. Our third string TE is questionable for this week. There are lots of reasons for what's happened. I'm proud for the production we've had. I expect MUCH more of them next year, but from what they've shown in this crazy year, I think they're reliable.

I'm much less confident in the defense, but we'll see.

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Right.. i meant Fuller.

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Funny you should mention Terrell Owens and Randy Moss, they rank #1 and #7 in dropped passes.

washingtonpost.com > Sports NFL Football

NFL Leaders: Passes Dropped (Thru Dec. 11, 2006)

Rank Player Team Stats
    1 Terrell Owens Dal 14
    2t Darrell Jackson Sea 10
    2t Steve Smith Car 10
    2t Troy Williamson Min 10
    5t Reggie Brown Phi 9
    5t Andre Johnson Hou 9
    7t Randy Moss Oak 8
    7t Reggie Williams Jac 8
    9t Alge Crumpler Atl 7
    9t Bubba Franks GB 7
    9t Joey Galloway TB 7
    9t Devery Henderson NO 7
    9t Dennis Northcutt Cle 7
    9t Reggie Wayne Ind 7
    9t Roddy White Atl 7
    16t Donald Driver GB 6
    16t Braylon Edwards Cle 6
    16t Mack Strong Sea 6
    16t Benjamin Watson NE 6
    16t Brian Westbrook Phi 6

They must have forgotten about Drew...maybe you should email them.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

how about throwing in some real stats on there such as the number of drops[divided] by the number of times they were thrown to, instead of simply listing the number of dropped passes.

It wouldn't look too bright then.

7. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

Why so much pessimism about this team? We have shown we can compete with playoff teams. If somehow we did make the playoffs, I'd think we hava a great shot at beating the Ravens or Colts....probably get hammered by San Diego though.

Don't discredit our wins, we are not a bad team. San Diego barely pulled off wins against Buffalo and Oakland, yet no one is doubting that they are the best team in football. No doubt there are some areas to correct, but correcting them will only make a good team into a great team.(not a bad team to a good team)

If we win out, then no matter how we win the games, beating those three teams would definately qualify us as deserving of being in the playoffs.

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Terrell has 72 receptions, Moss and Bennett both have 42 receptions, but Drew has almost 100 more yards. So if Moss is better, Bennett should have more drops.....according to you.

9. GoTitans3801

No way Drew Bennett has fewer than 6 drops. I would have said 7 or 8, but he had two in one game... What are the qualifications for a drop?

Just to clarify, I thought he had a terrible start to the season, but is making up for it, kind of like the game yesterday. Started with a great opportunity and big drop, but they showing up when we need him. I hope we can keep him around next year.

10. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

TNT.. are you seriously comparing TO with 72 receptions and 971 yards to Drew who has 42 receptions?

As for Drew.. how many dropped passes does he have? lets have a side by side comparison here..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar