Are there any Safeties worse than ours?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CriticalTheory, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Our "Genius" defensive staff, most notably our DC, hasn't produced a limp turd out of our last 4 drafts. So you're telling me that everyone of our drafted defenders aren't football players. I can understand 1 or 2 a year, but c'mon, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. This is going on five years now that we haven't gotten a bit of potential out of our drafted defenders, and even the ones we've had don't seem to be making any progress, but lest regressing. I know that Bulluck is a stud, and it helps to be surrounded by a better supporting cast, but man is this dude not being utilized to the fullest. I blame that on the DC..:sad2: You can't blame Reese, because he is there to analyze talent, that being said, these guys aren't any better than when they left the combine. Everyone of our defenders consistently has less production each year, Bulluck, Tank, Lamont, Boiman, you name 'em. Our DC doesn't know his personnel, he tries to run a certain scheme, not run a scheme that will produce the best results with his current players, nor put them in the best position to succeed.

2. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Jwill,
    I could not have said it better myself. I totally agree.

Rcarie,
    Two years from now if the offense isn't improved then I will say the exact same thing about Chow. I honestly get the impression from him that can and will fix the problems on offense. That said I think he did a decent job considering he had never coached in the NFL before. It was not like he was a QB coach on the NFL level then became a OC. I think he did a better coaching job than Schwartz and he has been in the league for how many years? and a DC for how many? Chow did an excellent job developing young players. I think that the B Jones and the other rookie receivers did well and I think a lot of that had to do with Chow teaching them as well as their WR coach. Next year I think you will see exponential improvement from the O. The offense did continue to get better despite losing Mason during the off season, despite Bennett going down, despite Troupe and Kinney missing time. I believe Chow will fix the communication problems, the false starts, the penalties, the drop balls. Chow has the potential to be a great OC like the NE OC that went to Notre Dame. I say that because he is a detailed oriented coach. Schwartz isn't detail oriented, i.e. missed tackles etc. Chow will better understand NFL defenses and will be able to do something that Schwartz can't do which is make in game adjustments.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Let me get this straight.

You think Chow is detail-oriented despite the drops, false starts, etc. but Schwartz isn't because of the missed tackles?

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Time will tell? if this goes on for a couple of years, Chow's head is next.

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Chow hasn't developed anyone yet. Our offense was a complete mess all year. I don't see how you make excuses for Chow when he clearly has had a worse year than Schwartz has ever had. That being said, I think he is a few players away from puting it together, as is Schwartz. How do you know anything about Schwartz being detail oriented?? You've never met him or spent anytime with the team. I guess Chow isn't detail oriented cause our recievers couldn't catch a pass all year. He needs to get on the ball. You seem to have this notion that a coordinator should get a year pass to develop... I've never heard of that before.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

so would you say he isnt being utilized the way he should be?

7. I'd say he doesn't seems to have the skills to fit what we want to do on defense. He'd be a better fit for a defense where he's allowed to blitz more and play up closer to the line.

8. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

i remember when i was @ the carolina game back in '03 and lamont absolutely knocked the crap out of one of their WR's(i want to say it was muhammad), i mean good lord he killed him lol, to say the least the guy was on the ground for a while....

and then also when tank killed manning which turned into a bulluck TD, that was great also lol

i mean yea this way a down year for both of them but if you look @ it, tank was coming off the acl which usually takes a full year or more to completely recover and play at a high level and actually this was lamont's first full year of starting, so i wouldn't write the both of them off quite yet even though i do like fuller a lot and what he brings to the table...

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I don't understand you at all.. You defend Schwartz all the time for not having the talented players and say that once he gets talented players, that he will make it work, and then you criticize Chow because he didn't lead the league offensively his FIRST year as a Pro coach. Isn't this some serious hippocracy? Blame the recievers for not catching the ball, blame McNair for not having any rhythm in the passing game due to not practicing, and blame Schwartz for not utilizing his players correctly. Crap, i'll make it all work once I win the lottery, but until then, I'm going to make due with what I have and not use excuses like "I don't have any talented players". That's just a total cop-out, because we know there is some talent on this team defensively, it just isn't being developed.

Now I don't think Chow lit the world on fire, but let's see, CB is a skirt-wearing teenage girl, Travis Henry missed 4+ games due to drugs, McNair is the Allen Iverson of the NFL(refuses to practice[not badmouthing AI because he has the biggest heart in the NBA]and doesn't produce like he would if he did practice) Drew Bennett missed a couple of games with surgery, and the other recievers were rookies. I'm not making excuses for Chow, but in my opinion he did a lot better job coaching up the Offense than Schwartz did coaching up the D in just his first year. No significant injuries to this D and they still look like the core hasn't improved in 4 years.:sad2:

You can badmouth MsTitan all you want for being a girl/woman, but realize that the one person you are defending the most is the one who has turned the identity of this defense into one as well(girl).:grrr:

10. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

The hippocracy is my point.. Everybody wants to rip Shwartz when he wasn't even the worst coordinator we had last year. You want to defend Chow for the same reasons that you put down Schwartz. I don't understand you.
    My point again exactly. Not utilizing his players correctly? Did Chow utilize his players??? Once again, you blame Schwartz for everything wrong that happens on D and you blame individual players when it comes to the O. So, which is it ?
    Other than Bulluck, Hayneswortth, and KVB I don't know who your talking about (at least on D). We have good young talent but just like you want to give Chow time to learn the NFL than I think the same rules should apply to Players; don't you?

You think.:suspect:

Exceuses, excuses, excuses..... I could say the same thing about the D which is also true. If you'll remember all the injuries last year. But if some one says that about the D than its an "excuse". Who's the hypocrite now?

Are you being serious? The only players that were even here (on D) four years ago were Bulluck, who didn't even start four years ago, (they thought he needed time to develop. Funny Huh??) and Peter Sirmon. And when you say "no significant injuries", I'm assuming you were in a different country last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar