Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Are Steelers more battle-hardened than Titans?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky Let's play a round of perception vs. reality.

Perception: The Steelers are way more ready for a nail-biting playoff game because they've been in and won tight games. The Titans have done too much coasting in the regular season and will suffer the consequences when the stakes are raised.

I'm not a big fan of this argument. It's akin to the case made before the 2006 draft that Jay Cutler was the best of the three top quarterbacks because he had faced more adversity at Vanderbilt. Yeah, everyone should dismiss guys who have won national championships and start scouring traditionally bad programs for quarterbacks. (I understand that Cutler ranks well ahead of Vince Young and Matt Leinart and will probably be the best of the three. That still doesn't make that argument a sensible one.)

Reality: There is no denying that the schedule has been tougher for the Steelers. Their opponents so far have a .479 winning percentage as opposed to .399 for the Titans. The remaining games for both teams, including their head-to-head matchup in Nashville on Dec. 21, are against teams with a combined 25-14 record.

But Pittsburgh has played seven games against teams that currently have winning records and the team is 4-3 in those games, with two wins by 7 points or less. Tennessee has played five games against teams that currently have winning records and is 4-1 in those games with two wins by seven points or less.

Against common opponents, the Titans are 7-0 with an 85-point advantage and the Steelers are 6-1 with a 74-point advantage.

Pittsburgh's had a tougher road, but I'm not buying the conclusion that it's made the Steelers more playoff-ready.

I'm looking forward to finding out.

More...
  2. KptTitanFan Guest

If Big Ben keeps holding onto the ball like he has, I'll take the Titans and our D-fence. As far as the strength of schedule goes, it is showing on their record... we have one loss they have three. This will be a hard game for both of these teams physically, especially being right before the playoffs(injuries).
  3. titanbuoy medium rare ®

Warmack
    Moolah:
    $732
    **** the Steelers.
    4 people high five this.
  4. nickmsmith has the most poverty RB corp.

Reynaud
    Moolah:
    $22,981
    I can't wait to see them lose against the Ravens this week.
    2 people high five this.
  5. Fry Hatin' is what I do.

Casey
    Moolah:
    $13,505
    id rather them beat the ravens and help keep them out of the playoffs.
  6. jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Moolah:
    $77
    i'll be glad to see one of them lose period!

woo hoo!
  7. titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Casey
    Moolah:
    $6,815
    Weeks are passin by wayy tooo slow.....
  8. jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Moolah:
    $77
    Hines Ward is going to be a pain in the ***
  9. nickmsmith has the most poverty RB corp.

Reynaud
    Moolah:
    $22,981
    both are probably going to make the playoffs. We want the Ravens to win, because we've beaten them, and we know for sure we have the tiebreaker over them for homefield.
    • Tip Jar Donor

Gunny Lord and Master

Wright
    Moolah:
    $2,025
    Me too. Baltimore scare me

*flashback of 2000*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.