Are penalties killing the NFL?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I was reading a thread about how many members here are no longer as into the NFL with more penalties being one of the reasons. I did a little research and stumbled onto a site which records penalties:

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Assuming it's accurate, it's an interesting site.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson ranks first in the NFL in penalty yards with 110.

But back to NFL penalty trends:

In 2014, penalties are up but not dramatically. Before last night's game, there were 2589 penalties to 2433 after 12 games last season.

Though defensive holding penalties are up (175 to 135.75), defensive pass interference is actually down (162 to 185.25).

Titans are 12th in penalties so far in 2014. They were 13th in 2013. Blidi skews this number, no doubt.

In 2014, Titans lead the league in Offensive Holding (1.583 per game) and in Defensive Pass Interference (0.917).

It goes back to 2009 so would be interested to read how much things have changed over a 5-year period.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Penalties aren't killing the game, but the way the game is being manipulated by the rules and officiating is definitely a contributing factor.

There is nothing wrong with a team playing defense. The NFL doesn't like defense. The Seahawks won a Super Bowl on defense and timely offensive plays. Time to "emphasize" defensive holding and illegal contact.

The amount of missed calls on helmet-to-helmet hits and roughing the passer calls is maddening. Nothing like a free 15 yards for the offense, which already has every advantage in the world.

The NFL needs to adopt college's targeting rule. If there's a penalty for helmet-to-helmet or contact to a QB's head there needs to be an automatic review.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Finally, an interesting topic I didn't start. Is it so hard that some of you people contribute a little sometimes? Good stuff @TitanJeff ...

And didn't I just ask you yesterday how you couldn't care about defensive holding? Its a damn joke!

• LOL LOL x 1
  4. RTH

RTH Meh...

Right... so, about that jet ski...

• High Five High Five x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

Oh yea so Im thinking I need two of them, 1 for me 1 for who ever else finds themselves at the lake house that week. And a 2 bunk trailer is cheaper than 2 one bunk trailers, plus to drive two up separately seems dumb.

• LOL LOL x 2
  6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

My point is if you liked the NFL in '13, not much has changed in '14.

PIs are down as much as D Holds are up. If you break down the increase in overall penalties over every game, you are looking at less than one more per.

7. JCBRAVE

IDK, I just have this thing about defensive holding, its dumb and the NFL is slowly ruining its product by enforcing a bogus rule.

Im pretty sure theyll wake up soon and change it similar to how they did away with the king of dumb rules in the tuck rule.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It will never happen. The NFL has made having a QB a necessity, unfortunately good QBs don't grow on trees, so they need to manipulate the rules to make average guys passable. The unintended consequence of that is it just elevates the four or five great QBs in the league even higher and they still dominate while the other 27 teams in the league end up overspending on guys who will never get it done because they just aren't as good, ruining that team's salary cap.

The path the NFL is on is an ugly one.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. JCBRAVE

maybe, but why dump the tuck rule? that favored the QB... I know why, cause it was a retarded rule, just how the NFL's definition of defensive holding is retarded.

10. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

I just can't watch it much anymore.

You can't watch a series without a flag being tossed. Sometimes they pick it up, but the stop in action just drives me nuts. You can almost count on at least one penalty a drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar