Are OTA's necessary?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Old Man Tip Jar Donor

In particular, I think the team "optional" activities are archaic and ridiculous. Why do we still have this "optional" stuff for professional athletes? Either it's a required team practice, or it isn't. Why risk injury at some optional team event? Just make it required or not required.

Why is it always the assumption that a player trains/learns the best by working out with other players? I think certain players can train better on their own than within optional team activities.

And Pre-season... forget it. I'd rather see a "pre-season" of individual player competitions, like the "QB Challenge" then these meaningless games where some superstar around the league gets hurt every year.
  2. Nine

Nine Starter

I've heard more than one NFL veteran say that OTA's and minicamps are where 75-80% of the playbook is installed. This way, the players are already familiar with the playbook and terminology by the time training camp rolls around... so instead of learning everything from scratch, they can focus on fine-tuning their execution and getting their timing down.
  3. Gunny

Gunny Lord and Master Tip Jar Donor

Pre-season is definitely necessary. 4 games isn't but they need to see how the scrubs do.
  4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor Tip Jar Donor

yes it is Donnie Nickey time for sure.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  5. Gunny

Gunny Lord and Master Tip Jar Donor

It's Boomtime.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

is there a break between OTA's and Training Camp?
  7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Boomtime! I love it!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.