Are League Rules Too Easy On Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ColtKiller, Aug 14, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, they're football players just like anyone else.

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  2. No, the league needs to protect the QBs more then other players

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

It should be about the game. People get hurt, it's football. Some of these rules are ticky-tacky for sure. I understand the money aspect, as I mentioned, but flagging people for being too rough on one player is crap. It ruins the integrity of the game when first downs are handed out because a defender hit a QB a fraction of a second too late. The outcome of the game shouldn't be left solely in the official's hands, and this is essentially what they are doing.
    QBs already last longer than most other positions, and they are the best paid. There are no outlandish rules to protect RBs.

2. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

QBs get off too easy

3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I don't disagree with you. In fact, I voted "yes" in the poll. However, the only reason the owners, administrators, coaches, and players participate in the NFL is because of "the Benjamins". No one plays strictly for the love of the game at the professional level. Roger Goodell's job is to put out the best product the NFL can offer, and he's doing pretty well at that.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I like rules that actually do protect players... QBs and WRs are very vulnerable at times and some of the rules make sense. Of the rules that do make sense almost none of them are enforced with much sense or consistency. It's one thing to have a ticky-tack rule, and another thing to have it change from official to official or even worse from play to play.

What gets me is that the NFL has been trying to turn the game into the arena league... and they advertise some rule changes under the guise of protecting players when the real reason is that they want more points. Someone explain why a helmet-to-helmet hit is less potentially dangerous to a RB than a QB or WR? Hmm... could it be because one generates more offense than the other?

5. Daves not here

Daves not here Camp Fodder

These stupid ****ing rules (the hit by Nickey & not being able to go after QB's) is really making me sour to this league, year after year ... might as well put a ****ing dress on these pansies

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Too many people think QB's are too well protected.

The truth is each team benefits equally from the rules that protect the QB. Lose your starting QB and your season is usually over.I'll all for it.

I just think the referees are too twitchy with the flags when a QB gets 'legally' tackled hard.When a QB hangs on to the ball too long and ends up getting pancaked trying to make a play,the refs need to get it right and not penalise defenders incorrectly.

7. amy

amy Starter

You notice that this wasn't happening when the defense's average weight was around a 100 lbs. lighter than it is now. Well, I may exaggerate, but still, the defense is much heavier and stronger than back in the day. Consequently, they have done some major damage to qbs in recent years. And so, considering that the qbs are the top stars, it is only reasonable to protect them. What I see as a major problem is the fact that the defensive player, in going after the qb, can't stop his forward momentum, and so can't stop in time to avoid some of these illegal hits that were not illegal in the past. What to do about it? Nothing that I can see. When the coaches started wanting heavier and more powerful players, then something had to give.

8. KYTITAN48

KYTITAN48 THE TRUCK DRIVER

I agree QB's mite as well have a dress on :moon2:

9. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

I agree with you Amy. I also wonder how many hits are diminished in their violence because of fear of penalty and heavy fines.

I remember Vince getting the best end of the deal from a no tackle, which I figured happened because the defender thought he was going to be fined, or possibly thought a whistle was blown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar