Are League Rules Too Easy On Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ColtKiller, Aug 14, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, they're football players just like anyone else.

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  2. No, the league needs to protect the QBs more then other players

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

It seems to me like every year the NFL makes small tweaks to the rules concerning the quarterback. Roughing the passer gets called on clean tackles, especially against top-tier QBs, you can't tackle a QB below the knees, and now you can't tackle a QB from the ground. So my question is simple: Should the league make an extra effort to protect the games most important group of players, or are they turning NFL football into two-hand touch?

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Yes. I hate Goodell. It's all about the Benjamins. The NFL was hurting without Brady last year.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Very true. The NFL wants to keep the marquee names on the field. The teams know their chances for a big season are gone if their starting QB is lost for the season.

It's frustrating at times but I really don't have any problem with rules which protect the QB from contact to the head or twisting the lower leg. It's the borderline "late hits" which I take issue with because the refs are inconsistent with that call.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea it comes down to money and promotion. No one pays top dollar for these "Kerry Collins" of the league. Especially sponsors. People want to see the Brady's, the Manning's, and even the Roethlisbergers of the NFL play. Losing one of those types of players cripples your contending team. So the league took measures to make sure that's as little likely as possible to happen. I'm no fan of these sissy rules, but it makes the quality of the game better by having top talent playing.

5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I don't think it's just about keeping the names on the field. I know it's one of the reasons, but look at the rules on DB's and WR's. I think Goodell wants less parity and more 50-0 blowouts.

6. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

What else should it be about? Philanthropy? The NFL is a business, an entertainment business. Get over it.

7. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

Exactly, and Heaven forbid increasing the importance of your O-line and having to pay them more to protect your quarterback instead of throwing your money to some diva WR, Goodell doesn't want those ogres even on camera.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

If business means crapping on the integrity of the game, you can count me out. As soon as NFL football doesn't even resemble the game I used to play in my backyard, I'll take my business elsewhere.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

The defense as a whole is gimped, they might as well turn it into two hand touch at this rate. Every year it gets worse.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well for the NFL to exist, it must be a business first game second. That is unless one of us has a few billion dollars laying around to pay the leagues expenses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar