Anyone have the Xbox 360 HD DVD player?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bobo, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

^ sweet , thats awesome for the A3000 unit
    i've seen them getting lower reviews than the A2020's
    not sure why
    it's essentially the same infrastructure except thqt the A3000 added 120hz frame rate doublers

either way, you cannot go wrong

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Yeah I figured it was about the same, just maybe a little less motion blur. But I read from more than one source than blur wasn't a problem on the older models anyway.

I looked at a few of these first before buying (2020 and 3000's). It was really hard to beat their picture, at least from the tv's that were physically close when I viewed them. I really didn't see any TV at a few different stores that I could say had a better picture.

Of course it looks like there's lots of variables to how most of these new TV's look. I look forward to "tweaking" this TV to get good pics.

And I think I'll e-mail MS to see if they can directly sell me a Pro system w/ HDMI.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

why not Amazon ?
    or BB.com
    CC.com
    etc ......

hell, there's plenty of them down here
    is there a Gamestop, GameCrazy or EB near you ?

or you could drive to Nashville ... we'll drink beer :guzzle:

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

fwiw

i do not believe the HD-DVD add on is really a necessity
    as long as you have a good upconverting 1080p DVD player, that TV will display them just fine for moderate viewing purposes

the 2020 even makes non-HD Comcast garbage look nice

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

furthermore,
    the absolute best picture I have seen so far is Blu_Ray @ 1080p on the 2020
    ONE THING ABOUT BLURAY THOUGH IVE NOTICED IS THAT THE COLORS LOOK WEIRD ... blues are blue and reds are red, but they almost look painted or something ... one thing is for sure though - Black is Black - not artifact - no grayscale - friggin black - which is hard for some sets to accurately reproduce

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Finally found one while I was working out of town today. Got the Pro with the 2 free games and HDMI.

I actually worked in Smerna yesterday and as I came back through Nashville, I tried a few places....didn't find a one.

My DVD player will either be the 360 or my old Panasonic DVD player/DVD recorder (DMR-E55). I assumed HD-DVD would blow both away.

I think I'll have to start recording games in a better format than the old Panny does. My Titans recordings look worse than they do live on a non HD broadcast through my old CRT TV. Not sure why that is, but it sucks.

And now that I have one of these 360's.....any advice? Things like how to make them live longer, or tips/tricks?

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

DO NOT STAND IT VERTICALLY
    lets clear that right off the bat - unless you just want to cover up your other major airway that the hard-drive does not

i forget if there is an auto-off (sleep), but if there is and you plan on playing for long sustained bursts, i'd turn it on

get the friggin brick as far away from the console as possible

don't cram into a loaded unit (i've got mine on the top shelf of the stand that came with the 2020 right next to a hot *** Comcast DVR and right above the glass shelf from an HK reciever and it does just fine ... but I've also got it in a corner instead of flat against a wall, and there's an A/C vent to the left of the unit and another one to its right)
    so the amount of gear it's "around" doesn't really matter
    as long as you have plenty of air

obviously ... NEVER set it directly on your carpet

and don't mod it either (not at least until your warranty runs out or you decide you never want to go on LIVE again)

it's really not that fragile of a machine
    but it isn't a Gamecube either
    it runs hot, even though the new heat sinks help that considerably
    but it will stand up as long as you avoid some of the above mentioned items ...... in other words, setting it upright on carpet is bad um-kay

i don't know the numbers, but you certainly don't hear as much RROD stories from people with the newer heatsinks (which your Pro HDMI box should have) - probably doesn't has the 65nano chip yet though

you'd basically want to treat it like it was a small PC - a windows pc at that. as far as placement and things you ask it to do

LIVE - go set your LIVE account up first (before you start playing new games) why ? because you'll probably want all that "Gamerscore" online
    I had already played through quite a bit before I set up my LIVE account (which the non-multi playable Silver membership is included with the 360)(Gold lets you play halo / half-life online)

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

...... other than that

get Gears of War
    rent BioShock
    The Orange Box (Half-Life 2) is a MUST own
    Oblivion Game of the Year Edition is another MUST own
    get Mass Effect in a few weeks
    and if you must .... there's a little title called Halo3

with that new SXRD you're going to be in gaming nirvana

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

It'll be flat. Since there's vents on the bottom, I may try to put it on a lil platform to get those vents more air. Maybe even a lil fan action?

I really won't play for long periods of time....well not like 5+ hrs.

Is the brick the power supply? Why get it away from the console?

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Puck, man this 360/55A3000/HDMI just playing Halo 2 looks great. Much better than my old combo with the same game.

Can't wait till I play some real 360 games....Halo 3, Gears, Bioshock, etc. Heck I even got Marvel Alliance and Forza 2 for free :grrhee: I'm sure Forza will blow my mind.

Haven't even tried any changes to the picture of the TV. Any suggestions there? And ever tried hooking your PC up to your 60A3000?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar