Anyone else wishing the Titans waited to draft a QB?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by KelvisKblam, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Some of you guys act like the only time we've seen Locker was for a quarter in Atlanta. He got extended playing time in the pre-season and looked very good. He definitely has some things he needs to work on, but that's kinda why he's not playing right now.

I know it's a message board and people love to second-guess stuff, but the Titans currently have their best starting quarterback in years (and he's signed for a couple more years) and an early first-round pick with loads of potential developing behind him. How is that not a situation to jump with joy over?

Edit: I'll also add that I realize this year looks like a good year to be taking a QB in the first round, but it also looks like a good year to be taking a WR. Blackmon, Jeffery, Floyd. Let the other teams fight over Barkley, RGIII and the Titans can hopefully swoop in and grab a playmaking WR.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Maker_84

Maker_84 Starter

is this a serious question??? Locker is by far the best young qb in the NFL it's just the Titans were actually smart in the offseason and got a decent Qb to start and have Locker learn for a season rather than throw him into the fire

3. KelvisKblam

KelvisKblam TITANic Nerd

The real question is, are you being serious? I want to believe in Locker as much as anyone on this board, but saying Locker "is by far the best young qb in the NFL" is borderline ludicrous. What is this conclusion based on, pray tell? Some PT against second and third stringers in Preseason, and one quarter of real action against a prevent defense in ATL? Locker hasn't even played a full half in a real NFL game.

I'm no pessimistic troll, but being a fan of this franchise has taught me to be cautiously optimistic at best. I'm a Titans homer and I would/will happily drink the Locker kool aid, but he hasn't shown me (partially because he hasn't had the opportunity) what I need to see to become a believer yet, so naturally I'm going to be a bit skeptical from time to time, especially when there appears to be so many talented QB's in the upcoming draft and Locker's future is so far from a foregone conclusion.

4. Carp

Carp Starter

Yeah, SEC Defenses suck. That's why they are consistently rated highly by everyone, constantly produce early 1st round picks, and have won the last 5 (soon to be 6) national titles in a row.

GTFO!

5. Carp

Carp Starter

Emitt Smith, Jamaal Lewis, Travis Henry, Darren McFadden, Duece McCallister, Shaun Alexander, Fred Taylor, Arian Foster, Peyton Hillis.... yeah the SEC never produces good NFL RB's :rolleyes:

As far as QB's, the SEC hasn't had very many early round QB's come out recently, but currently, Peyton will go down as arguably the best QB in history if he plays 3-4 more years. Eli is a Top 10 QB who also has a ring, Stafford is top 10 as well, Cutler is a solid QB.

EDIT: And how could I forget Tebow!!!

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

7. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

To answer the topic:

Nope. Jake Locker was like, the best performing rookie in the preaseason, and if our defense hadn't dropped the ball I'm almost positive he could have won us that game against the Falcons.

Sure, he's young and there are things he could work on, but I think he's going to bring that fire back to the huddle that we haven't had since we showed McNair the door.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

I like Locker, he's looked good with limited play time so far but beyond that I like his leadership qualities and work ethic. I heard Munch say the other day when asked about Lockers progress that when he sits in the QB meetings he's very engaged in what's going on, he prepares and asks questions and analyzes the game plan like he's the started. That's probably why when he does step in he's looked good so far. No more "deer in the headlights" like our last QB!

Those type of intangibles can go a long way in building a winning attitude within a team and are hard to put a value on. Look at how Tebow always seems to have guys rally around him and go the extra mile for him because they see him doing the same and they don't want to let him down. Imagine a Tebow type leader with better skill set. I hope Locker is that guy and so far I have a good feeling about him from what I've been seeing and hearing. Remember, this kid would have probably went first pick overall over Bradford if he had came out a year earlier.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. therealtrueblue

therealtrueblue Camp Fodder

no

i really liked locker coming into the draft and i still stand behind and support him. But thats beside the point. look at it this way if we don't draft locker and draft somebody else our record will still be similar to our record now (assuming we still sign hasselbeck). we end up out of position to draft the best QBs (Luck,Barkely,Griffin and maybe Laundry jones) thats if Barkely and Griffin declare.

think if we would have drafted Nick Fairley for example. we end up with 20th pick in draft (making the playoffs) then we are out of position to draft best QBs. Age catches up with hasselbeck and we suck next year and our only other option is Rusty Smith

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Sonic28

Sonic28 Starter

Owned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar