Anybody received their playoff tix yet?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

gas is $1.59/gallon here and mortgage rates continue to hit record lows. Stadiums across the country are sold out years in advance, and any new gadget/toy that hits the stores sells faster than it can be stocked. How is that a bad economy? Oh, that media can make us believe whatever it wants, especially during an election year :(

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

It's a bad economy if you're one of the thousands that lost their job...you know it's bad when illegal Mexicans can't find work...

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Maybe because of the 35% to 40% the stock market has dropped over the last year? How about the big three automakers being near bankruptcy? The thousands of jobs that have been lost? :hmm:

4. KptTitanFan

KptTitanFan Guest

Yeah, I was on the waiting list for PSL's and the time came around this summer when I was able to buy and took the chance not to.... Sucks because I wanted to so bad!

5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

It's not the Media, People are losing their jobs every where, car companys are cutting thousands of jobs,i just heard Sony is cutting 18,000 jobs over the next 2 years. my self and a lot of people i know jobs have been cut back to 32 hours a week.

right now the blue collar workers are feeling the heat, wont be long before the effect makes it to the higher class people. People might have money to buy Hummers and Corvettes but soon there wont be any Hummers and Vets being made. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, thats why im sitting on the money i got now. Keeping my house and feeding my family comes before buying Tickets that support Millionaires. The same Millionaires that are crying Obama will take more taxes from them. and mortgage rates are low but getting a bank to give you a loan right now is very hard. you got to have above average credit.

I'll watch Football on TV and i love the Titans but i'd feel wrong if i bought playoff tickets with the state of our Economy.

6. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

From this day in 1988 (dow at 1,800) until this day in 2008 (dow at 8,600) taking into account the current 40% dip, you STILL would have earned 8% per year. Clearly the market abnormally grew beyond the math that matched up and now is balancing itself out. And, the media is going to point out the negative 40% dip rather than pointing out the market is still outperforming any bond, cd, or any other standard market investment over the same period of time long-term.

In the short term, the stock market dropping should not effect a single person in the United States. If they have wisely invested, any money in the market would be long term investments. And, the ones within 10 years of retirement should have $0 in the market. Investments have absolutely nothing to do with paying current bills, gas, etc. In fact, this is the perfect time to get into the market cheap (consider it a 1/2 price sale)

GM and Toyota sold virtually the same number of vehicles last year. One of those companies is turning those sales into billions of profit and the other is losing billions. Why is that?

The big 3 automakers nearing bankruptcy is because they are currently paying 700,000 pensions to past employees who are not currently producing anything for them. Imagine yourself owning a business where a union forces you to pay above market value wages, plus an additional 30 years of pay after they are done working for you. And, this doesn't even take into account the annual billions our big 3 are required to pay in healthcare to their employees. A system like this makes it virtually impossible to be profitable long-term in any business. And, now the greedy unions have essentially squeezed their turnips dry, and that greed has ultimately landed the demise of their positions'.

Interesting read that summarizes it much better than I can:
    http://chinamatters.blogspot.com/2008/11/gm-toyota-japan-and-national-health.html

Okay, now back to football, enough politics

7. wplatham

I absolutely agree with you. I just found out yesterday that I might not be able to work over Christmas at my part time job because of labor cuts. It wasn't much, but it helped keep me fed while I'm in school. Times are tough.
    I wish you and everybody else the best while we go through this. Hopefully they will get it turned around before too much longer.

8. wplatham

It affects the companies. The less money companies have, the fewer people they can afford to pay. That means job loss. That is how people get affected by the stock market. Not necessarily by just having money in it. And job cuts have been rampant across the country. No denying that.

I'm actually with you here, I feel like the union should make some concessions to help everybody out. I never realized how much more the union members in the North are being paid compared to southern workers. It shocked me. I can kinda feel for those older workers up north who are being asked to take pay cuts, but they need to realize it is either that or the companies fail and they are simply out of a job.

Yes, yes back to football in the Titans and NFL forum lol.

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Yes, the unfortunate thing in the economy on a short-term basis is the fact that working for a company means you may or may not have a job tomorrow. That is a terrible feeling. I hope union leaders/ceo's can both open their eyes during this time, be fair to everyone they are associated with, and everyone will remain happy. I believe that although we are in a minor set-back, this era will be an eye-opener for everyone and may be the best thing that ever happened to this country long-term. No one will take anything for granted ever again.

**** THE STEELERS

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

the economy is so bad that 93+ percent of people who want a job have a job. It's terrible.

Seriously I know it is hard to find a good job, always has been. But there is plenty of work. Heck a guy can work 24 hours a day if they are willing to work for $8/h without benefits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar