Any chance GM....... and Jeff Fisher..???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I said before they ever did it that it would help our QB depth simply because he was better than Mauck. But he wasn't ever necessary.

I imagine that they would have re-signed Mauck (who knew the offense) and possibly Collins if Volek was out for an extended period of time. But as it was they already started VY after 3 games, so what would the difference have been?

Volek's meltdown was the end to him entirely. It didn't earn him competition. It earned him a 1-way trip to the doghouse and an immediate replacement as the #1 QB.

Volek had his meltdown in the locker room immediately after the 3rd preseason game (8/26), either than night or the next day. Collins signed on 8/28. Volek was out. In public, he didn't demand a trade. But internally he was as good as traded already.

Guess what... we then went with Collins and didn't have a 2nd option. No difference. Except Young was better than Collins and better than Volek.

Or what? Vince would have been forced to start in week 4?

And those of us who were realistic knew that this was a rebuilding season anyway and it didn't matter who they brought in at QB. It was an option of Volek or a bunch of retreads. None of them were going to lead the Titans to the playoffs. The best thing that could possibly happen was to get Vince ready to play and then get him some experience. And we got more then we could have possibly hoped for...

I had no problems with Collins versus other possibilities. I'm saying that they should have stuck with Volek as the starter and used Vince as the backup in the same way they did with Collins once the season actually started.

-----------------

Look, it's not hard to understand what I've written. They never needed a 3rd QB in the first place. Not a veteran, anyway.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What we need to keep in mind here is that both Reese and Fisher needed more than a "rebuilding season". They needed to show dramatic improvement after the bad taste left in everyone's mouth after '05 to save their jobs.

I feel that gives us a little insight into their motivations. Fisher had to have doubts about Volek and wanted to look at potential upgrades. Reese apparently did as well as Culpepper was contacted at one point. I think it was obvious the team didn't have a lot of faith in Volek.

So I feel Volek was on a short leash to begin with. As camp and the preseason wore on and Volek wasn't getting the job done, Collins appeared to be the only other option. But, for whatever reason, Reese didn't get him to camp. Maybe the goal was to drive down his price as other teams removed their interest or he didn't feel he was an upgrade over Volek.

After the falling out between Volek and Chow, Fisher pressed to get Collins and likely went directly to Bud. But I don't think he goes with such a desperate decision so late in the preseason if his arse wasn't on the line.

What I still don't quite understand is Reese in this matter. I can see how he could feel Collins wasn't an upgrade and maybe didn't push to sign him as fast as he could but why force the issue? It appears his handling of this had a lot to do with him now being on the NFL Network.

3. I don't think I understand what you mean by "force the issue". Seems he just felt it wasn't necessary. Then the Volek blowup happened and they needed a new starter at the last minute.

4. TitanJeff

"Force the issue" is probably the wrong way to say what I mean. I am meaning why Reese stood his ground.

First of all, I only think the blowup was the final straw and wouldn't have made a huge impact if Volek had been playing well. I'm not going to pretend that arguments between OCs and QBs are rare in the NFL.

This is pure speculation on my part but the Titans were looking to upgrade Volek from the moment it appeared a new contract for McNair wasn't going to happen. I don't think Fisher wanted his career riding on the shoulders of a career backup or a rookie and probably pushed Reese to get Collins in camp right after the McNair trade happened.

Assuming Reese thought Volek was the better option (his career is riding on the season as well), he drug his feet to sign Collins hoping Fisher would flinch first.

Why wouldn't Reese bring in Collins earlier? Was he willing to put his career on Volek?

I don't see the problem in having both in camp and making it clear the winner becomes the #1. If it isn't Volek, he get his trade if he wants it. If it isn't Collins, he becomes the #2 or goes back to the farm.

5. I'd say there are a few problems with bringing in Collins before camp. First off, it would have dramatically cut down on Young's snaps (which ended up being important). Secondly, it would have caused a QB controversy between Volek and Collins. And potentially, that controversy could spill over into the lockeroom and screw with team chemistry.

6. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

Lets be honest, it was completely clear that whoever started the season off for us was just keeping the seat warm for Vince, I don't think a controversy over a temporary QB would be enough to divide the lockerroom at all.

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

They did it to themselves

it all started prior to camp when the KFC talk began
    the moment Billy learned that Kerry was in talks with brass it sent a message ..... one i'm sure he didn't care for

he's thinking "WTF ? KFC ? don't they remember me from '04 ?" "that guy sucks. nobody wants him. even Oakland . wtf is going on ?! screw this, i want out, they already tried to trade me. i think i'll lay down now"

Kerry was in Nashville, the Friday before the team left for Clarksville. sure, bringing Kerry in later on allowed Vince to get a few more reps. ........ but it also allowed us to start 0-5 (which btw, is not entirely Kerry's fault)

8. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

can anyone really blame Kerry for anything more than 0-3?

9. TitanJeff

How does Young lose snaps? We have four QBs in camp as is.

As for team chemistry, would an open competition have created any more locker room impact than what actually happened?

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tj...

You have made the case perfectly...and without taking up nearly as much bandwidth!!!

:)

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar