Another year, another BCS gripe

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TitanJeff, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Very true. It decides who is better on the playing field instead of some computer saying who the best team is. We've had a lot of situations where a team lost early in the season due to an injury but won out the rest of their season.

Okay, let's try this on for size. My final shot.

What if OSU, South Florida, BC and Hawaii all win out. Now we have four undefeated teams. Who plays in the big game?

What if no one ends the season undefeated and we have six teams with only one loss?

:)

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I also hate how the BCS is simply about # losses, and not # of big wins. What if Florida ends up winning out, and we have no unbeatens? IMO they should be in the Title game because they will have beaten UT, UK, GA, SC, FSU, and then probably LSU in the title game. Name one other school who would have that many wins of that calibre? USC is the only one you could probably argue, but with ND and Nebraska not being good, their schedule isnt as impressive as it seemed preseason. Yet, because Florida was beaten twice, buy one extremely good team, and another good team, then somebody like BC or USF gets the nod over them?

I do think this could be the year that finally gets rid of the BCS. I think if LSU, Kentucky, or South Carolina win out, that they are in the championship game no matter how many unbeatens there are. And that would cause a ton of controversy.

3. TitanJeff

You'd think so. But is that fair to the unbeatens who did all they could do and just happen to play a weaker schedule?

That's the flaw in system right now. But you can't tell BR nuthin'. :ha:

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I think its just as fair as punishing a team for one loss because they played a much tougher schedule than an undefeated team.

In all honesty though, I dont see any teams being unbeaten at seasons end.

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening

[​IMG]

6. TitanJeff

True.

And here's the other thing. Say OSU loses one game and the reason they don't play for a National Championship is because a team they beat, Michigan, was beaten by Appalachian State which knocks their BCS ranking down a few notches.

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

WEll also, you dont get credit for beating the same team twice. So, say Kentucky runs the table, and then beats LSU in the SEC championship game again. They would get no credit for beating LSU the second time, but the win last week would be weakened, because LSU would drop with another loss. Or if LSU ends up beating Florida in the SEC game, it would be the same thing.

8. TitanJeff

Goot lawd. I had no idea that was the case.

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

That is just the computers recognizing the win, obviously it would help in the coach's poll though. But still, thats ridiculous.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think jumping from the current BCS system directly to a playoff would create as many problems and as much controversy.

At-large bids will always create controversy in college.

The first step for a successful playoff system to eventually develop, would be for every conference to play a conference championship game.

I'm also opposed to the way there is a division between the "BCS" conferences and the non-major conferences. Either all these teams should be the top division of college football and treated equally, or some teams and conferences should be removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar